Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

long delays using MSN

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 what_the

what_the

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

After opening MSN, and I work for a few mintues, I get long delays, especially with MSN, but with everything. Before that I noticed I had trouble updating my anti-spyware programs (SPybot S&D, and AdAware).

I've reinstatlled and uninstalled both of them, and re-installed ZoneAlarm. Even reinstalled my virus checker (V-com). I've removed Adobe (seemed like that had problems) and Real Player.

I ran the spyware program from Zone Alarm, plus two other virus scans (ewido, and Trend Micro). Ewido had problems, too.

I removed cache and anything extra, defragged, ran a registry cleaner.

I notice that every time I click the mouse, ZoneAlarm indicates activity with the web.

I don't know why things suddenly go so slow - I wait and wait for an email to open, or to switch programs. Task Manager does not indicate high usage.

I'm wondering if MSN and messenger themselves are the problem.

Any ideas? Here's the HJ log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:32:52 PM, on 9/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\SYSTEM~1\MXTask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\SYSTEM~1\mxtask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\K...\...\....\HIjack-This\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Fix-It AV] C:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\SYSTEM~1\MemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {D06A22B4-6087-4D3D-B7AF-82B113E9ABD4} -
O23 - Service: SystemSuite Task Manager - V Communications, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\SYSTEM~1\MXTask.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:13 AM

Hello what_the and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. After reviewing this HijackThis log I see no signs of viruses or malware at this time. The log is clean.

I would suggest posting a question in the Windows XP forum and following their guidance. My guess is that the system is missing many of the services needed to operate properly.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users