Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Vista Problems (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you have problems with Vista?

1. Yes, lots. (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. No, none. (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Yes, not enough to switch back to XP. (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Yes, but easily fixed. (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

Post weither or not you had problems with Vista and what they were...
I will start

I had only one problem with vista and that was the UAC, which i was able to get a program to change that click here for the program keep in mind this is a beta program. :flowers:
I can run 10 year old games on Vista with out a problem.

I am just curious to see what other peoples problems with Vista were because i had a great expeience and still use it to this day. Mainly because i am too cheap to buy Windows 7. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

had all kinds of driver issues to start with, extremely unstable, got most of them fixed though it took me a couple years. . .still a few minor bugs here and there I need to fix, some by my own doing.

course, nothing that cant be easily switched by simply taking windows off and installing linux. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

Still waiting for a trackball driver
Kensington says it's in BETA and hopefully I can get in the test group
I miss my trackball :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

I miss my trackball :flowers:

Don't say I never gave you anything. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

That's my model,but mine's black, thank Heavens. Me and the color white don't play too well together :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

any other problems that i had were because i changed something. :thumbsup:

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

My only problems with vista derive from all the gratuitous changes to the gui and the hiding of useful utilities.

It is the screeching halt similar to switching between a linux system and a bsd system in a terminal window.

Ya type the wrong path or command a couple of times before you get your head switched into the correct OS.

I have vista on one laptop and I have to fix them for clients occasionally but I don't have enough of them at a time to remember the locations of stuff that is damn near unconscious on xp.

I sometimes have to look up where to find a command or program.

All the stuff added apparently to use ram and hard disk in the most inefficient way possible are passing irritations but the piracy being perpetrated by printer and peripheral makers is the main reason I just refuse to use it on more systems.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

I've had very few issues with vista most were small and mere annoyances, but thats coming from someone whose used linux before ubuntu came out.

Posted Image

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

No trouble. every update went smooth.. I even used a Logitech Trackman Wheel mouse with no trouble.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Had to fight to get SP2 to install and am still suffering from the random disappearance of the volume icon from the notification area.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

So if none of us except Budapest (Even what he had was not to bad nothing terrible) have had anything major go wrong then what is the problem with vista, I have never gotten a BSOD. Is it just because we all use computers regulary and know how to fix them and other people don't?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

The problem I have with Vista is that I cannot see any improvement over XP (apart from some eye candy). In fact it seems to run a lot slower than XP.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

No matter how annoying Vista might be, it does not compare with forcing Yggdrasil linux to work on a 386 laptop with 4m of ram. I was tempted to use an axe on it after 6 days of headbanging and recompiling what was supposed to be the first "plug n' play linux cd.

:0

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

I had to use my drive manufactures tool disk to prep the drive to format it. Apparently the Windows Vista Setup process is unable to handle larger drives. I also had to do the same to my other 1.5 terabyte drive.

#15 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

I have never heard about that, i will keep that in mind as i was looking to get a bigger drvie becasue this one does not sound to good so i am backing up but who knows it could be fine.

Edited by matt3, 12 March 2010 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users