Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't hear voices on DVD's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 genetic.design

genetic.design

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

I have audio on everything BUT dvd's, and it's just on "real" movies. I can turn my sound all the way up, to the point where the music and background noises literally hurt my ears, but the voices are still too quiet to make out. My sound works without a problem on cd's and burned dvd's.

I've checked all my sound drivers and the sound card, and they work just fine. I've screwed around with just about every setting that could possibly be the issue, and nothing has worked. I have heard that windows media player could have been the issue, so I've tried reinstalling it and using other players, but no luck. I used to be able to play dvd's on my laptop just fine, the audio problem started a couple months ago.

Also, on actual dvd's, the voices can be heard perfectly on previews. If anyone has any suggestions at all, please, let me know. Not being able to watch dvd's on my laptop is driving me insane.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

is it using a surround sound setting with a stereo speaker set?

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Does it happen with any DVD?
What player do you use?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 mediacre

mediacre

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

OP, Have you solved the problem? I have the *exact* same problem. It even occurs outside of WMP on backups I've made of a DVD, which leads me to believe it is something at the driver level or codec level, rather than a problem with WMP, the computer's sound card, settings, or hardware.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

mediacre
You need to start your own topic. Thank you :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 mediacre

mediacre

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:20 AM

In answer to everyone in reverse order so far:
  • You're right I should have started another thread as I'm throwing in too many other possibilities based on my setup! And, the options I explored turned out to be useless anyway.
  • I think it *is* a speaker/speaker config issue. I had a similar issue that was fixed by setting the 'Effect' correctly on my logitech speakers. Pretty simple, but that's all it was.
  • If you're using something like the Realtek Audio HD configuration utility or an equivalent, try your speaker tests. And also try them while changing your speaker hardware settings (you may have external controls for settings, effect, level, etc.)

Good luck...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users