Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP - NTLDR Missing Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Allan99

Allan99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello, I hope someone can help. I was trying to replace the hard drive in my laptop with a larger one. Before installing, I was using software to make a clone of my old drive on the new one. My old drive has 3 participations, C - the boot drive and most system files, D - the data drive and E - a system backup drive created by Norton. When I went to make the clone, I accidentally selected Drive D. Thinking it was only making a copy, I let the clone process conclude.

Now, when I try to start the laptop, I get the NTLDR is Missing error message. I suspect the laptop is trying to start up using the D drive. I replaced the drive, but when I try to start up using the new drive, I get a message that there is no operating system.

I am using Windows Vista. I do not have a start up CD or alternate means to start the computer.

I checked the Bios, and it just provides the option to start using the hard drive, not a particular partition.

One option I was considering is using the Recovery disk to reconfigure the old drive to original specs. Then I could use a backup from Norton to reinstall everything. Would this work?

The computer is about 5 years old with a lot of software on it that I don't have original disks for anymore. I would really hate to lose everything.

Is there an easier way to have the computer start from the correct partition?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Allan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

You need the Recovery Console to run Fixboot
Since you do not have a Windows CD, try this:

Thanks to wannabe1 from Geeks to Go for this one.

This is a download of an .iso file of just the Recovery Console for XP.
Burn to CD with Nero or other 'disc image' capable tool and boot.
I like Imgburn, very simple:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
It looks just like the start of a normal XP CD, but will only offer the Recovery Console by pressing "R."

All normal Recovery Console procedures can be run from this utility.
Direct download: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=150212

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users