Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall XP using USB Adapter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grayson4

grayson4

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

We had an old HP desktop that was killed with a virus about six months ago. We recently purchased a new laptop, but I didn't want to give up on the old desktop, especially since I had so many pictures and music.
We were unable to access anything except recovery mode, and after following all the directions for "fixing" it...we ended up getting the "missing or corrupted system32" message. So I took the advice of several people and purchased a $20 USB hardrive adapter. I hooked everything up to my brothers old XP desktop HP, and was able to recover all my pictures and music, thanks to RECUVA. Greatest day ever.
Now that I've gotten all the data off the old hardrive, I want to clean the drive and start over. I've unpartitioned and repartitioned the drive and it's formatting right now...my question is this:
I was never given an XP install CD, and neither was my brother. However he uses XP on his computer now...so I was wondering if there's a way to copy XP from his computer to mine. How do I go about doing it, if it's possible?
Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Different hard ware. The recovery stuff is probably on the hard drive.

#3 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

No, you would be using his drivers on your computer which would not work my suggestion would be to go to HP's website and then ordering the recovery disks for your computer. or see if someone you know has a XP install disk that you can use.:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users