Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed issues!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter007

Peter007

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Ok here is the issue....

My computer is wired internet going through a router with the ethernet cord and then going to the main computer with the modem. Now we are apprently paying for 30,000kbps service which is very good. However here is where the issue comes into play.

I do a speed test on my computer which is the one hooked up in the other room with the ethernet cord going through the router. The speed test on my computer is always different but it always comes out somewhere around only 3000-8000kbps which is terrible.. Then I go to the computer with the modem and the speed test on that one is over 31,000kbps which is where it should be. Can someone PLEASE tell me what the heck is going on here? Is it something with my router that my computer is getting crappy internet? Would it be something with my internet settings? Please just give me some options I can do to resolve this.

It never was like this. On my computer here I always got over 30,000kbps on the speed tests but now I don't know what the heck happened. Any help is appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Why do you have a PC connected to a router and another connected to a modem? Why aren't both PCs connected to the router and the router connected to the modem?

What kind of connection is it? DSL? Cable?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

It probably is Cable as DSL doesn't normally have that kind of bandwidth.

What I would do is plug the one that currently is plugged into the modem into the router and run your speed test again. If it is the same speed as before I would suggest that it is a setting or malware on your other computer. If it is not the same speed then I would suggest the router.

If it is the router you might want to visit the manufactures website and see if there is a firmware (software for your router) update available. They should have instructions on the website if not post here with your model number and I or any of the guys here will help you.

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users