Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I keep the laptop battery in while the AC adapter is plugged in?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 indolence

indolence

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Should I keep my laptop battery in while plugged into the AC adapter? Why or Why not?

I've been googling this topic for awhile but so many websites/forums say different things. Some sites say its best to remove the battery while plugged in while some say its best to remove the battery. I have an HP and they are notorious for having bad battery life so I would like to optimize my battery. I read somewhere that HP suggests keeping the battery in with the AC adapter but they might just be deceiving and want the battery life to die faster so I could buy their batteries.

I have the HP dm3 (13 in) and its "supposed" to run ~5-6 hours on regular use BUT ive been using it for class and even on Battery Saver Option, the dimmest brightness, only Microsoft Word open, and very very light wireless it can survive a little over 3 hours on a good day (about two classes).

Keeping the battery in is the more convenient option but psychologically, I feel that its eating my battery life fast. which may in fact be true.

Moved to a more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 06 March 2010 - 05:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Never had a battery last 5-6 hours. On my laptop it's not an option to remove the battery so I leave it in when hooked to AC power but will cycle the the battery once a week (unplug AC power and run the battery down to 5% power, then plug AC power back in and recharge). Li-on batteries usually only last 2-3 years of use anyways.

Posted Image

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

Most laptops do not let you boot up without the battery. Though, its generally good advice not to always keep your laptop hooked up to the AC adaptor 24/7, Id say drain that battery at least once a week (dont let it completly die, just get down to around 5%) and that should boost your battery life.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users