Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:20 AM
I am sorry to have to ask this, but I need some help to understand.
My question is very simple: do I need to worry, or not?
These are the strange things happening:
- When I do shutdown, the icon of the last used program blinks twice
- The Hard disk runs for a very long time at startup
- The Media center is sharing something, when I connet to internet.
- Some programmes cannot be unistalled. Right now is Silverlight, for instance. And I do not remember having installed it in the first place, where does it come from?
- I cannot run the onecare safety scan from Windows, or other online scanning tools.
- Even when I am logged in as administrator, some programmes refuse my orders, claiming that I do not have enough previleges.
My fear is that there is some kind of malware on my PC, which keeps installing itself under new versions using different languages. The last one I think I found was with C++, which at some point appeared on the list of installed programmes without me requesting it. Now is with Silverlight, maybe. Or with NVIDIA?
- HP Pavillion Entertainment PC, bought one year ago, very fast.
- The external language of Vista is English, but I think the background is German, because sometimes I get German messages.
- Vista 32 bit installed.
- Antivirus is now Kaspersky, and it runs happily without detecting anything.
- Installed external software: Thunderbird for email, Explorer for Internet. Two printers. i do not install anything else until I am sure that the PC is clean.
But there are so many Microsoft programmes installed, of which I do not know.
- Since June, this PC was connected to internet, non stop, and the router was always ON. I did not know, at that time, that this was dangerous.
- in November, I did use uTorrent for the first time, checking for old movies... and there is one I love very much (Sen no Rikyu), which is stored in a Russian website. At some point, I think I had access to some kind of pornography website, and my problems started there, I think.
- In December, I reverted the sorftware to the Factory image of Vista, then installed the service pack 2 and all other updates... but the blinking was still there. And even if they claim to restore the factory image, it is not true. For a real restore of the factory image, one should delete all windows files, pergaps. I tried to reformat the hard disk, but it is not possible.