Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista locking up, cold boot only option

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Schoelman

Schoelman

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

Win Vista Home premium SP2
4gb ram
2 2ghz processors
AVG free anti virus with updated definitions and recent scan (yesterday) that showed nothing
Norton Protection Center (pretty sure everything is disabled but still pops up and asks me to renew subscription every day for some reason)

Using internet explorer, or even not doing anything, computer will randomly freeze up... mouse doesn't work, ctrl-alt-del doesn't work etc... cold boot is only option

every third time i've done a cold boot, there is a screen between 'press escape to enter startup menu' and the 'would you like to start in safe mode' screen that is just a blinking cursor (underscore type) and it just stays on that screen till the end of time, until i hit the power button and redo it...

This has been happening for about a week maybe... but it's happening more and more often (now a couple times per day) I may have mistakenly misposted this in the wrong area.... so feel free to shuffle this post to the correct area... although in my (very limited) opinion i didn't think malware or any of the other topics covered my issue.

I anticipate someone asking me to run HJT, but for some reason, it won't post to hosts file, and it just tells me to right click and run as admin..... but when i right click... that is not an option like it usually is on other programs. so.... standing by, ready and willing to post HJT log, but without the host file i suppose.... thank you so much in advance! You folks helped me out about a year ago before i went to iraq, and now that i'm having another issue, i'm confident you can hlep me with this. thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

Start with removing Norton's leftovers by using Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Schoelman

Schoelman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

ahhh, thanks.... will start with that.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

:huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Schoelman

Schoelman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Ok, I can't seem to run that norton removal tool, halfway thru the dl, the laptop locks up and I have to do the cold boot. Any suggestions?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Download it on another computer and move it to this computer, using USB flash drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Schoelman

Schoelman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

I was going to do that, but I'm hesitant to, I don't want anything malicious getting on my stick though, so I'm working on getting rid of avg and updating norton instead

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

If you want to totally remove AVG, make sure to use AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools, which you have to download as well.

To be safe with USB sticks...

Download, and run Flash Disinfector, and save it to your desktop.

*Please disable any AV / ScriptBlockers as they might detect Flash Disinfector to be malicious and block it. Hence, the failure in executing. You can enable them back after the cleaning process*
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Schoelman

Schoelman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

thanks, got avg completely removed, and i appreciate the stick safe tool, that's good to know, although i don't need it right now, since i'm not removing norton anymore.

what's the next step? HJT log?

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Do you have Norton up and current?
How is your computer doing after uninstalling AVG?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 Schoelman

Schoelman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Still locking up, same, no change. Yes norton is up, currant and running well as far as I can tell

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, I guess, it'd be good idea, if you start new topic at "Am I Infected?" and see, if your computer is clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

Is your lap top getting hot?

Is your OS 32bit or 64bit?

#14 Schoelman

Schoelman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

no, it doesn't seem to be overheating that i can tell....

and its 64b Vista.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,943 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/301994/vista-locks-up-cold-boot-only-option/ which I moved to the log forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users