Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe is hogging my resources

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VRViperII

VRViperII

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

Hi, here is a snapshot of my task manager.

Posted Image

so the svchost.exe is constantly hogging up my resources, making my computer lag very much even when I only have one internet explorer on.

I have scanned with spybot, adaware and housecall, but it has not solved the problem.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:11 AM

Svchost.exe is a Windows program that manages 32-bit DLLs and other services, and having multiple instances running concurrently is normal. See the MS article explaining it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;314056

To view the list of services that are running in Svchost:
1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
3. Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 VRViperII

VRViperII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

so having it take up 99% of my CPU usage is normal? :thumbsup:

I can barely use my computer now

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

No it isn't normal, but the causes reside elsewhere, namely the problems that are doing all that calling. Two obvious areas to check are:
1. What applications do you have running at start up? Many of these can be eliminated. The upside is that you can boot faster, and since each of these uses a slight amount of memory hanging around until you need, this will increase your resources; the downside is that you may have to wait slightly longer to launch an application.
Use the BC Start-up Database to determine if you need all that stuff running in the background (you have MSN messenger for example).
2. Adware and other malware. You may wish to submit a HijackThis! log to our volunteer team of experts for review for malware. I might tend to be suspicious if I saw that kind of usage for iexplore.exe and explorer.exe. because a lot malware hides there.

Instructions are here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s-Log-t956.html

Hope this gives you some help,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users