Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Forbidden Error 403

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

:thumbsup: The above message has appeared recently on my ecafe, (French made) netbook. I have no idea why this should be there but have managed to access the internet from my history list or by typing in the website. The home screen, which is giving this message, would normally show the ecafe home page (now forbidden) I have copied and pasted the information below in the hope someone can advise me on what I can do to rectify this.

On reflection, the only thing that I have done recently, which might have caused this, was to plug in an external usb CD/DVD drive to load printer software. This drive had worked successfully on the netbook before, but on this occasion it switched the screen off. I thought the power cable might be at fault although the cable works fine on my other laptop.

[b]Access forbidden![/b]
You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403
ecafe.hercules.com
03/06/10 14:49:50
Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8i mod_autoindex_color

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

You might take a look at http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E403.html.

Louis

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

ecafe.hercules.com
gives me the same error

Certificate does not cover that address.

support page here:
http://ts.hercules.com/eng/

switch your home page to google and contact your netbook vendor to see how and why they killed that page.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 06 March 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

The 403 can pertain to directory listing is denied.

#5 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I will contact ecafe Support for suggestions/explanation. My ISP, I assume, would be the server and maybe I should contact them also. I have not installed anything, only had the problem with the external CD/DVD drive power cable mid week after which this error message appeared, everything was fine before that. I had a different home page set up but it never worked and I was not too concerned about that as I could still get on the net anyway. The familiar home page doesn't appear now and it all seems very odd. The only info I have come accross on the web is a 403 Error "fix" for my registry requiring a download of a program. I do not want to interfere with the registry without understanding what has gone wrong in the first place - I could end up with another problem.

Thanks again

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

The tech term for assuming the 403 is related to the external dvd is:

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" literally "It happened after, so it was caused by"

aka: Fallacy of Coincidence

The fact that I get the same error message when using :

http://ecafe.hercules.com/

And yet this link works:

http://www.ecafe.hercules.com/

Just means either the dns entry without the www has been deleted from the zonefile at a root server. Nothing you or I have any control over. (Though I have some phone numbers for emergencies :thumbsup: This is probably an error in the entry at whatever dns server is listed as authoritative for the hercules.com domain.
or:
Since the alias seems to be written properly, then it is a php or squid proxy (or whatever is doing the role of load balance or redirector) or a setting on the server that is allowing the primary from the zone file and denying the alias...

looking up ecafe.hercules.com
Official name: www.ecafe.hercules.com
IP address: 130.117.40.98
Aliases: ecafe.hercules.com

Try http://130.117.40.98
and you will see the server itself is refusing the direct ip address also.

there is at least one other domain hosted on that machine.

details of contact and responsibility of this domain:

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: HERCULES.COM
Registrar: ELB GROUP, INC.
Whois Server: whois.retailstudio.com
Referral URL: http://www.retailstudio.com
Name Server: NS1.DNS26.NET
Name Server: NS2.DNS26.NET
Updated Date: 03-mar-2010
Creation Date: 05-aug-1994
Expiration Date: 18-dec-2011

>>> Last update of whois database: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:02:16 UTC <<<

#7 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

Thank you for that info.

I have just phoned ecafe Hercules - couldn't get through by email - and after checking out the error message was informed that it was in fact a Hercules server problem - apparently it is "down." I had read somewhere recently that this can be one of the causes of such an error message. Apparently it should be fixed soon and I hope they are right. The error message appeared 4 days ago so with any luck it will not be too much longer before it is up and runnning again. Google is a great work around for websites right now.

Many thanks again
Deirdre

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for that info.

I have just phoned ecafe Hercules - couldn't get through by email - and after checking out the error message was informed that it was in fact a Hercules server problem - apparently it is "down." I had read somewhere recently that this can be one of the causes of such an error message. Apparently it should be fixed soon and I hope they are right. The error message appeared 4 days ago so with any luck it will not be too much longer before it is up and runnning again. Google is a great work around for websites right now.

Many thanks again
Deirdre

If it was down hard you wouldnt get any HTTP Status Error codes such as a 403. You are making a connection to port 80 and 443 if you use HTTPS. By down do you mean no content which would indicate a soft down.

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

yep. the server itself is up, the network is reaching the machine, but the config is hosed. probably at the load balancer or the local machines resolver mechanism.

I really miss diagnosing web servers sometimes... until I remember being on call 24/7/365.

#10 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:10 AM

403 Error message still there so far. As I can use the address bar to access the internet, I can live with it for a bit longer. Interested to read the tech stuff, don't fully understand the detail, but I gather that the "down" status in this case means the server is a bit wobbly and in need of medication. Hope they make it better soon.

Many thanks
Deirdre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users