Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to ignore the Office Genuine Advantage Notification Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NoahVosen

NoahVosen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

I am on Windows Vista and recently downloaded a student version, legally, of Microsoft Office 2003. I even paid for Microsoft to send me a backup DVD. For the past couple of days what of the so-called IMPORTANT Security updates is Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810), which is said to thwart software piracy. The problem is, every time I turn on my PC, the security update notification wants to install this update. I don't see a purpose for it as I have purchased my Office products legally. How do I change the settings in the Control Panel so that I am not constantly nagged about this update? I wish to ignore it. I don't see the point of downloading this update and I don't appreciate that it is even an option for me. I don't want to bypass ALL important updates but just this one if possible.

Edited by NoahVosen, 06 March 2010 - 09:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Windows Genuine Advantage - read this before turning it off.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx

" Validation may be required for your copy of Windows prior to obtaining downloads and some updates from Microsoft
(for example, the Microsoft Download Center Web site and Windows Update) reserved for PCs running genuine Windows.
Validation is also required in order for PCs running some Windows XP® editions to use the Windows Update Web site.

All users can access security updates via Automatic Updates.

Currently, online validation is supported for the following versions of Windows:
Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition (excluding Windows XP Professional x64 Edition),
Windows XP Starter Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition, all editions of Windows Vista®,
and all editions of Windows 7®.

The process for WGA is designed to be quick and simple.
It does not collect any information that can be used by Microsoft to identify or contact the user.
The validation process includes the following steps:

Upon their first visit to the Microsoft Download Center, Windows Update, or Microsoft Update,
users will receive a message requiring them to validate their Windows.

Users will be prompted to download an ActiveX control which checks the authenticity of their Windows software and,
if successful in validating Windows, stores a special license file on the PC for future verification.

The validation process electronically checks for several known counterfeiting methods.
Users do not have to manually enter information in most cases.

After successful validation, users may continue their download.

WGA Notifications is an anti-piracy tool which performs the WGA validation check
and notifies users if they are not running genuine Windows."

More to the point, see this article re Office:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810

It's an optional update.

If you don't install it, you may find that you cannot get later updates for your Office program.

Edited by petewills , 06 March 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Here's one solution posted on the Internet.

Don't know if it will work.

This stuff is always at your own risk.

http://www.webtlk.com/2009/11/04/how-to-re...ntage-notifier/

#4 NoahVosen

NoahVosen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Petewills. Looks like I should go ahead and install it. This crap is so annoying. Why when you download the software and use the product key that M$ provided me, M$ doesn't know that I have a legitimate copy of their software is beyond comprehension. More stupid crap on my PC.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

It's a pain.

Switch to Linux (Linux Mint my favourite); it includes OpenOffice.

Good luck.

#6 hobber

hobber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Thanks PeteWills works great in XP.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks, hobber.

I actually have Office 2003 on XP and a Linux Live CD always handy.
I was given the MS program, otherwise I would have no hesitation in using the free OpenOffice,
which just gets better and better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users