Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue virus again?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mangacharo

mangacharo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

Two weeks ago got Antivirus Soft and got rid of it in a couple of days, now, apparently my daughter went in the infected site again and that machine got something new. I am not that PC savvy, so I can not find what it is, I do know this: the pop-ups stopped, Antimalwarebytes found a couple of things and got rid of them, also MS Security Essentials got a couple of things (I think), I can not run Spybot Search & Destroy, I get a window asking which program to open it with (?????!!!!) as I get for a bunch of things. In the control panel, when I try to open almost anything, I get: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe, Application not found. I can not start in safe mode either, I get a blue screen with : If this is the first time you see this message...bla blah blah and then the only thing I can do to get out of that is to reboot. Somebody said to run regedit, but again I get the window "Choose what program you want to open this with" The problem is on another machine (not this one) running XP Home. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, library etc) with an Internet connection. Save mbam-setup.exe to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program. If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive. If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure its not "Write Protected". Some flash drives have a switch on the side which could have accidentally been moved to write protect.

Some malware infections target .exe files and alter associations. Without repairing the file association .exe files will lose functionality. If you are unable to run your programs do this:

Please download FixExe.reg and save it to your desktop, then transfer to the infected machine. Double-click on the file and select Yes when it asks if you want to merge the data into your Registry. Once that is completed you should be able to run other programs. First thing to do is to perform a scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mangacharo

mangacharo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Malwarebytes does not run on Quick Scan, it opens and runs for 3 seconds and says Scan completed, it does do a full scan. After that, I ran the Fix.reg and the system is still the same, I think there is a virus somewhere. When I double click on Malwarebytes, I get a window asking to choose what program to open it with! Is that crazy or what? I also run rkill and nothing.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

I also run rkill and nothing.

Please clarify. Exactly what happens when you try to run it?

You may have to make repeated attempts to use Rkill several times before it will run as some malware variants try to block it.

-- If you get an alert that Rkill is infected, ignore it. The alert is a fake warning given by the rogue software which attempts to terminate tools that try to remove it. If you see such a warning, leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this sometimes allows you to bypass the malware's attempt to protect itself so that Rkill can perform its routine.

Please post the complete results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose Copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- In XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
-- In Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

#5 mangacharo

mangacharo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

Give me a few to try that, MBM is running a full scan right now and I will post the results. Thank you.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

Not a problem.

#7 mangacharo

mangacharo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

Here it is...

Malwarebytes' Anti Malware 1.43
Database version: 3510
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

3/9/2010 3:47:12 PM
mbam log 2010 03 09 (15 47 12).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 218414
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 27 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

Your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log indicates you are using an older version (1.43) of MBAM with with an outdated database. Please download and install the most current version (v1.44) from here.
You may have to reboot after updating in order to overwrite any "in use" protection module files.

The database shows 3510
. Last I checked it was 3840.

Update the database through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Note: Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current database definitions if you're having problems updating through the program's interface or have already manually downloaded the latest definitions (mbam-rules.exe) shown on this page, is to do the following: Install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program and update through MBAM's interface. Copy the definitions (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system. If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it.
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware[/color]

#9 mangacharo

mangacharo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

OK, I think we're getting somewhere now. It looks like I can open everything but my IE, the window opens for about 5 seconds and then dissapears. Here is my last log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3845

3/9/2010 10:00:58 PM
mbam-log-2010-03-09 (22-00-58).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 120159
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\(default) (Hijacked.exeFile) -> Bad: (secfile) Good: (exefile) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Should I run rkill again?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

No need to run Rkill again unless you can't run MBAM.

Now rescan again with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but this time perform a Full Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning and to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Please perform a scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Online Safe Scan.
  • Be sure to follow the instructions provided on that same page.
  • When the scan is complete, please post the results in your next reply.
Please perform a scan with Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner.
-- Requires free Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to be installed before scanning for malware as ActiveX is no longer being used.
-- This scan will not remove any detected file threats but it will show where they are located so they can be cleaned with other tools.
  • Vista users: need to right-click either the IE or FF Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar icons and select Run As Administrator) from the context menu.
  • Read the "Advantages - Requirements and Limitations" then press the Posted Image... button.
  • You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click the Run button. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions.
  • When the downloads have finished, you should see 'Database is updated. Ready to scan'. Click on the Posted Image... button.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked. By default, they should be. If not, please check them and click on the Posted Image... button afterwards:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under the Scan section. OK any warnings from your protection programs.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • Once the scan is complete (the 'status' will show complete), click on View Scan Report and any infected objects will be shown.
  • Click on Save Report As... and change the Files of type to Text file (.txt)
  • Name the file KAVScan_ddmmyy (day, month, year) before clicking on the Save button and save it to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste (Ctrl+C) the saved scan results from that file in your next reply.
-- Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

#11 mangacharo

mangacharo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

OK, I am doing a MBAM full scan but remember, as far as the other scans, I can not login the internet, when I open my IE, a window opens with:

OPEN WITH
"Choose the program you want to use to open this file"

And the few times I was able to get it somewhat started, the IE window opens for about 5 seconds and then it closes.

I will post again (if I'm still home ) when full scan is complete. And I did update. Thanks again.

Edited by mangacharo, 10 March 2010 - 08:43 AM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use SUPERAntiSpyware to scan and remove malware from your computer Guide.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
-- If you cannot boot into safe mode or complete a scan, then perform your scan in normal mode.

-- If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

#13 mangacharo

mangacharo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

OK, I got to run now, will do above at around 12:30 est and will let you know what happened. Can I do the TFC through a flash drive? (I can not log in the internet in that machine) Thanks again!

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Yes you can download and save TFC to a flash drive and transfer it.

#15 mangacharo

mangacharo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

Here is the latest MBAM full scan results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3847

3/10/2010 1:12:45 PM
mbam-log-2010-03-10 (13-12-45).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 227903
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 44 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I am going to do the TFC now.

TFC Done

6:04 pm est, Could not Open in Safe mode, did regular scan, rebooted (was asked to, like you said) and now I'm doing the full SAS scan. Will post reults when done

Edited by mangacharo, 10 March 2010 - 06:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users