Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 lizzy0921

lizzy0921

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

My computer is stuck in a bootup loop. I know it a virus. Could actually be the Antivirus 2010 or remnants of it. A couple days ago I did get a popup that said my computer had several viruses and I should run Antivirus 2010. I didn't and instead ran my virus program which found antivirus and supposedly got rid of it. My kids are also always on Utube and I know theres a nasty utube virus going around.

Anyways, my system is now looping when I boot up. I seems to be bootin up normally but momentarily goes to a blue screen which lists a virus, but I can't read it cause the screen goes immediately to the safe mode screen. When I choose start in safemode to fix any problems, the system loops back to that darn blue screen and then the safe mode screen.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Need more info?

Liz

Running Firefox
Windows XP (latest version)

Edited by lizzy0921, 06 March 2010 - 07:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hi..I can't get past the black safe mode screen where you have the option to pick safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc.

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hi lizzy0921,

Welcome to Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal (VTSMR) forum. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (scanning or running other tools, updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might interfere with our fixes. Please let me know in your next reply if you agree with this.

Please update me about the current condition of your computer. Also tell me if you have a Windows XP installation CD or even better a Window Vista installation DVD.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 March 2010 - 11:49 PM.
Correct name. ~ OB

#4 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hi....

I am now prepared to fix my system. My computer is on but the loop is running. It does not boot up totally but flashes that blue screen that I know lists the problem (it actually has a piece that says and then immediately goes onto the screen that says

"We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully........choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
safe Mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Prior to contacting Bleeping computer I did try all the options but nothing worked.

My lovely system is a Gateway so the only disk I have available is the Windows XP Operating System Disc they give.

Am I going to lose things like files and email addresses? If so, is there a way to 'rescue' them first??

Thanks for your divine wisdom with this matter smile.gif

Liz

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Please read the whole post, and those between brackets, specially by step 3 as you might not need to do all the commands in step 3.

Am I going to lose things like files and email addresses? If so, is there a way to 'rescue' them first??

I don't think you are going to loose any data.
  1. In order to read the STOP or error by BSOD you should disable automatic restart, to do that:
    • During the rebooting process, repeatedly press the F8 key to enter Windows Advance Options Menu.
    • Use the up and down arrow keys to select Disable automatic restart on system failure and then press the Enter key.
    • Use up and down arrow keys to select the operating system to start (if more than one OS is installed).
    • Press the Enter key.
    • Windows should start.

2. To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:
    • Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.
    • Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
    • When you get "Press any key to boot from CDů" press a key.
    • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
    • The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
    • It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.
    • If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

Type the commands in bold and press Enter (please pay special attention to typing and the spaces):
    map
    (It will give you the drive letters. Note down the letter of you CD-ROM. If it is a letter other than E you should replace the letter e when applying the "expand" command later on if the command is needed to be applied.)
    ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys atapi.old
    (It will returns to the prompt again without notification)
    copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\atapi.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (If you get a notification "1 file(s) copied" you don't need to do the next "expand" command and go to "exit" command. But if you get notified that the file doesn't exist proceed with "expand" command)
    expand e:\I386\atapi.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (You should be notified that the file expanded)
    exit

Now let Windows boot normally and tell me the exact message if you get any. Otherwise disconnect the computer from internet and let me know how it went.

#6 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hi..

I did step 1. The blue screen reads this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check tomake sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8ACE1400, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I haven't done anything with these instructions. Should I?

Liz

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Ok. Now enter Recovery console as instructed in step 2. But instead of doing those commands do the following:

At the command prompt type the following line by line and press Enter after each line:
chkdsk /r
exit

The computer will restart to check the volume for errors. Don't press any key and just wait until the system starts by itself.

#8 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi, I put the CD into the drive...reboot my computer and wait...instead of giving me the prompt to go to the recovery console I am getting looped back to the black safe mode screen. Although the system does seem to want to do something with the CD Drive since the lights blink.

Liz

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

It will not give you prompt to go to Recovery console. You should get "Press any key to boot from CDů".
In case you did not get this screen your computer is not set to boot from CD-ROM and you should change the BIOS set up as describe Here
  • Restart your PC.
  • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
  • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
  • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
  • The tab should now show your current boot order.
    If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
  • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your CD.

#10 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

Sigh...(patience patience patience smile.gif)

Changing the boot order didn't work...the system continues to go to the black safe mode screen instead of booting from CD.

Liz

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

So you don't get "Press any key to boot from CDů" do you?

Did you made sure CD_ROM is number one? See this also How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM

#12 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Yes my system setup window says this (the first two things anyways)

Boot menu Type
Normal

Boot Device Priority
CD/DVD-ROM Drive
Hard Disk Drive
Floppy Drive
Ethernet

#13 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

So you don't get "Press any key to boot from CDů" do you?

#14 lizzy0921

lizzy0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

nope...no "Press any key to boot from CDů"

after making sure CD was chosen first to boot from I inserted the cd again and rebooted my system. It directly goes to the black safe mode screen again..no option to press any key to boot from CD

Edited by lizzy0921, 10 March 2010 - 11:13 AM.

#15 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

So the CD-ROM is not read and it doesn't look good.

You seem to have no option in the BIOS to read USB first do you? We could use a flash drive to boot.

An option is to reset BIOS.
Another option is to hook the hard drive to another computer and work it from there.

Edited by farbar, 10 March 2010 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users