Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Licence Use ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 acestu

acestu

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:21 AM

HI ,

I have a toshiba laptop with Xp pro on it that is now broken, i have built another pc and i wanted to know if i am entitled to use the XP licence of the old laptop as it is no longer in use, basically what i am saying is can i install an oem copy of xp pro on my new machine and use the laptop licence or do i have to migrate the licence and if so how ?

Any help appreciated

Thanks In Advance
Acestu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grommers

Grommers

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

You can use the license from your old laptop. It will probably not activate automatically over the Internet however if you ring Microsoft you can explain to the operator that you are transfering it from a non-unused computer and they will give you the code over the phone.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

The License Agreement for OEM Windows only covers installation on the original system the copy of the OS was supplied with. So no, you cannot legitimately re-use the license on another computer, although it may be physically able to be done. Occasionally, the OS provided with a namebrand system may be motherboard BIOS locked and will not install onto a different system.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Platypus is correct.

Most oem versions of xp are locked to the model of hardware in some way.

HP will occasionally work like a generic oem COA, Dell works on almost anything with a Dell bios, and toshiba is locked down in a variety of ways over the years.

Testing is the only way to know for sure so be prepared to buy a new license.
Whether it works and whether it is legal are two different thing however, and every reading of the OEM eula I have seen makes it pretty clear that microsoft requires OEMs to not allow the license to outlive the machine.

#5 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

Ya you might be able to call microsoft and tell them but more likly is that it will not work and you will be locked out. I personally have not tried it but good luck to you.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

The recovery CD's will not work with the other machine which is locked to the system. However, the keys are not locked at all. You cannot lock a key to a said model of lap top.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

I believe, product key can be legally used on any computer, as long, as it's used on just one computer.
Call to MS may be needed, though.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

hmmm. I have dozens of different xp cd's. They are not blanket interchangeable as a rule.

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-tell-what...e-key-you-have/

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

There are various hacks and tricks to fudge some of them, but we shall not discuss them in this forum.

Sometimes the easiest method is to call microsoft repeatedly until you find a drone who will say yes and give you a working key just to get you off the phone.

Social engineering takes time though. I prefer to stay legal

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

I'm not sure, what you're saying.
Full version XP CD is just a CD. Same in every case. There is no product key on it.
I cab use very same CD on 5 computers, as long, as I have 5 product keys.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

XP Home OEM Keys will only work with XP Home OEM CD's

XP Pro OEM Keys will only work with XP Pro OEM CD's

XP Home Retail Keys will only work with XP Home Retail CD's

XP Pro Retail Keys will only work with XP Pro Retail CD's

If you have an OEM Key for XP Pro you can use any XP Pro OEM CD to install and use that key with.

Not sure what Ken in the West is saying.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

If you have an OEM Key for XP Pro you can use any XP Pro OEM CD to install and use that key with.

Exactly

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

follow the link.
Full retail is indeed usable on any system with a full retail cd key.
There are several versions of xp install media that are not full retail including volume license, generic OEM (from retailers with qualified hardware and small system builders) brand name OEM (tied to bios, mainboard id or hardware hash code) upgrade retail and MSDN betas and golds.

I fix mostly laptops so I have a collection of OEM disks for various models as well as media for volume license for a couple of large corps in town.

I think I have 11 oem generic for systems and servers I built and have running on various parts of my network.
Each oem generic media will work with each oem generic cd-key.

The OP is talking about a toshiba laptop xp-pro. This has a good chance of being locked to the bios or one of the other methods Toshiba has used over the years to meet the terms of it's agreement with microsoft.

Of course if you have a different hardware and a legal cd key from another source (besides the one printed on the toshiba) it may ask for it at install or it may not ask and refuse to activate. Sometimes ms phone drones will give you a working code anyway if you don't mention that it is a completely different hardware....

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 06 March 2010 - 02:40 PM.

#13 acestu

acestu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I am aware that the os can be loaded illegally and that is not what i am trying to do, i am simply trying to get a computer working legaly as mine is Kaput. It seems from what you are saying that the OEM os dies with the pc that it came with, i asumed that if i had paid for the os that i could use it on any computer as long as it was only on one computer, i have the xp pro key and a copy of a win xp pro oem cd simply asking if it is legal....as it is useless to me if it dosent update and i get the WGA saga...

thanks to all
Acestu

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:35 AM

By definition...OEM licenses (not CDs, licenses...a CD is merely the medium for installation and due exercise of the license) extend to one system only. If that system dies or is replaced, no matter...the OEM license is tied to it.

For purposes of defining OEM used here....that includes Microsoft OEM/System Builder licenses...as well as those systems sold by boxmakers such as Dell, HP, eMachines, Toshiba, etc.

That said...nothing can be lost by trying to install/activate said license on a different system. Microsoft exercises due diligence on such attempts by users.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users