Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Total PC Defender virus -- help!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Beatle2102

Beatle2102

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

I've managed to acquire the Total PC Defender virus. I'm running Windows XP.

All attempts to remove this virus via Anti-Malware Bytes have been unsuccessful. After 2-4 seconds, the mbam programme terminates. I've tried installing new versions from the website (after running rkill.exe in order to access firefox), installing new versions and giving them a variety of names (eg lbnnc.exe and marwar.exe instead of mbam.exe), and have also tried installing mbam.exe onto a thumb drive from another computer and running it from there. No matter what, the programme terminates after 2-4 seconds.

I did manage to run spybot, which picked up 3 items which I then removed, but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem, and Total PC Defender keeps attempting to run.

Running in safe mode doesn't seem to help; anti-malware bytes still terminates within a few seconds of starting to scan.

I simply don't know what else I can do. Is there some other anti-virus programme that will help? Do I post a log.txt? Throw the bloody computer out the window and build another one?

-- Heather

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users