Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I added a second Hard Drive and smoke came out...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nukie

nukie

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

Hey,

I ran out of memory on my hard drive so I purchased a 500 GB WD.... Green type... Hard Drive as back up. Now after buying it I learnt that I also needed to buy a 4 pin molex to Sata adaptor aswell to get be able to connect it.

Now once everything was set up properly, I tried turning it on, and then I smelt something funny and I saw that the port on the Hard drive connected to the adaptor began smoking. I immediately switched all the switches off, and waited for everything to cool down.

However I tried a second time, and there doesnt see to be any smoke this time.

My question is, is it safe to assume everything will be good now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grommers

Grommers

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

It may run ok for a week, month, or until you want to replace it, however if it were me I would send it back to the manufacturer now and get it replaced before you actually start putting things onto it and it becomes more awkward further down the line.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

ditto what he said :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

Well...I wouldn't be so quick to write the drive itself off...it's only one of three things that could have contributed and you seem to be assuming that the PSU and the connector are blameless.

I've had all three of these components fail on my systems, over the years...but I've never seen anything smoking.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

I've literally melted the power cable to a hard drive, when it locked up, but never seen smoke
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Make sure that adapter is wired properly.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users