Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE History wiped out....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 omghax

omghax

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

hello everyone, first post btw.
I've recently had a virus that wiped out some vital things in my WINDOWS folder, so instead of formatting i did a repair install, which fixed the problems i was having. I was on service pack 3 before doing this and i mainly used ie. After doing this i was on sp2 again and i had to reinstall sp3 again. After installing sp3 my extensive ie history was wiped out. It's only important to me because there's certain links i forgot to bookmark...
So in an effort to restore the history i tried system restore to the time before the sp3 installation. I've searched on google before doing this on how to restore the history and the only answer i got was to do either a system restore or examine the index.dat file for ie.
So, after i did the system restore and reverted back to sp2, my history was still gone.
Now i ask you, is there anything i can do to salvage it or am i screwed? Also, is there anyway i can revert to a time that isnt listed in the system restore list? i tried setting up my own custom date but it doesnt help....
i really hope there's a way to fix this, and you're my only hope because i've looked all over for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Two things...
1. Repair installation, in most cases, won't cure an infection. It may appear to be gone, but I can assure you, some bad files are still in hiding. That's because Windows repair installations deals only with system (Windows) files.
I suggest, you go to "AM I Infected?" forum and run some scans.

2. Your internet history could still be accessible by reading index.dat files, which still may be there.
You can read those files by using free program, Index.dat Suite: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/indexdatsuite.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 omghax

omghax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

hmm....i can see some links that were deleted but not all of them....
any more suggestions?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

Since the history has been erased, inex.dat file is the only place, where you can find your links.
BTW, you don't use bookmarks?

Personally, I'd worry more about infection leftovers....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:51 PM

If you did a repair install, the info might still be on your system.
RIGHT click on the start menu, choose EXPLORE ALL USERS.

Look under LOCAL DISK C. Do you see your user name from before the repair? (It may look weird, something like your computer name and then the user name. I can't recall if this weird looking name is the before or after repair name. This should happen only if you set up the same user name when you did the repair)

If you do, click on the name to open up your account in Windows Explorer.

Next, at the top of the page, click on Tools/Folder Options/View tab.

Check Show Hidden Files and Folders. UNCHECK Hide extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files. Click Apply.

Open up Local Settings/History. See if the history is there.
You may have to click on the icon to the left of the name in order to see the actual URL's.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to copy or move the history to another user account.

After you do all this, make sure you hide all the folders and files.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 March 2010 - 01:06 AM.

#6 omghax

omghax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

i found some cookies and stuff but not the links im looking for still.
can system restore fix this problem even though sp3 apparently wiped it out? i want to go back to last week but it would only let me revert to a date from this week.....

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

System restore deals only with system (Windows) files, so, no.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users