Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Antivirus 2010

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 abcgum1

abcgum1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

I recently caught the XP Antivirus 2010 anti-spyware program. I followed a couple of links such as

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...irus-2010#files

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-2010.html

I believe I have successfully removed the program, I am not getting any XP Antivirus notification and all the files and registries are gone. Now I have the problem that prevents all my Anti-spyware programs from updating, such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and Spyware Doctor. At first I just had Spybot and Ad-aware, and they were not updating. Thinking the sites might be down for maintenance I downloaded Malwarebytes' and the same problem. Then I proceed to download Spyware Doctor and same problem. Now I know something is preventing me from updating my Spyware programs. I cannot even visit their homepage or their forums, all my browsers are telling me that their webpages cannot be connected or this link appears to be broken. I am using Firefox and Google Chrome.

Does anyone know how to solve my problem? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 March 2010 - 09:53 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 edw987

edw987

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options, the click Connections, click LAN settings. Unclick any box. If that doesn't work, the way I did it was to run safe mode, but logon as administrator rather than as user (this was in XP) Then run malwarebytes. The malware did not prevent Internet connection from this account, so you can update malwarebytes to latest version, which is crucial to catch all viruses. When it is updated, you should see today's date in the malwarebytes updates section. See my post from today Friday 4:16PM. :thumbsup:

Edited by edw987, 05 March 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#3 abcgum1

abcgum1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

I check out my Internet Options under LAN settings and they were already unchecked. I also tried creating a new account and still could not connect to any of the spyware webpages, I am still connected to the internet.

#4 edw987

edw987

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

Shucks. If you google 'cannot connect to spybot server' there are a lot of posts out there.

#5 abcgum1

abcgum1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

Thanks gonna give it a shot. I had no problem updating any of the spyware programs till I got that annoying XP Antivirus 2010 antispyware, even tho its gone for some reason something is preventing me to visit those sites. Anyway thanks for your time.

#6 edw987

edw987

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Yeah the remnants of the rogue virus are probably causing the site blocking, but in the google posts someone probably had the same problem and maybe someone has the solution. I think it may be in the registry. Similar are these viruses that prevent updates from Symantec. You might google that too, it was a problem for us but I don't recall offhand how to fix it.

As soon as I got rid of the virus I uninstalled Symantec and reinstalled Kaspersky antivirus which I had before and should have left on the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users