Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with home router.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I am having problems connecting to my home router. I came home from college and my mothers laptop is able to connect, however I am not (I have been able to in the past). I have tried the simple stuff, ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew. disconnecting and reconnecting, restarting computer, restarting modem and router. (I am using windows 7).

I will be in the chat room on this site for as long as I can tonight as with something like this I would think troubleshooting would work better in a chat situation. I will also keep checking this board.

Edited by tiverty, 05 March 2010 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Does it get an IP address from the router?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 07 March 2010 - 03:03 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

The laptop is receiving an IP from the router.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

So the issue is that you can't connect to the net. Because you are saying you can't connect to the router.

Have you tried pinging a few web sites? Click the Start button, type CMD in the search bard, in the list right click CMD and click Run as Admin, at the command prompt type ping google.com and hit Enter. Then type ping 74.125.45.99 and hit Enter. Can you copy and paste what you see on the screen in to a reply?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Sorry I did not phrase it right, that is my fault. I can connect to the router, however I am not getting internet accesss. I did the pings and here is what I got: (i cant screen clip since im on a different computer, ill just type what it says)

>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

>ping 74.125.45.99
Pinging 74.125.45.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.125.45.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss).

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

Can you surf into the router? You do this by typing in the IP address of the router into the address bar of a browser.

It will be listed as the default gateway if you type ipconfig /all at a command prompt and look for your wireless connection.

Are you running a firewall?

Is it ok if you are connected wired, can you surf?

#7 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:56 AM

I am not able to connect to the router via its IP address. And I have not had a chance to try wired connection. I tried disabling firewalls and that had no effect

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

What firewalls are you using?

What is the make and model of the router?

If you are getting an IP address from the router you should be able to connect to it. What is the IP address and Default Gateway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users