Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

putting SP3 into an old XP pro install CD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CJSommie

CJSommie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hello,

I've asked this question before some where else, but I don't remember where, or if it was even answered.

I've got an old XP Pro OEM install CD that I've used on my personal computers for years, but the problems is that it installs SP1.

I remember being told how to make an ISO of my install CD, then setting it up so that the CD will work with the same Key, but it'll install SP3 instead of SP1. Now for the life of me I can't find the information again.

Anybody post here that could help me out?

-Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

It's called slipstreaming

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CJSommie

CJSommie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

Thank you very much sir :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

You are most welcome
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

I've got an old XP Pro OEM install

If you read the post on slipstreaming...

Unfortunately, for this step you can not use an OEM CD provided by your computer manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc).

So you cannot use your disk to slipstream i cant either and i find that when i do reinstalls people dont have disk that are fully updated either. My only XP disk is a Gateway OEM disk version 1.0. So i have to install like 8 years worth of updates when i reinstall XP on my own computer but i use other people's CD's when reinstalling for them. I actually keep a flash drive with the Service Packs on it. :thumbsup:

Edited by matt3, 06 March 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

I've got an old XP Pro OEM install

If you read the post on slipstreaming...

Unfortunately, for this step you can not use an OEM CD provided by your computer manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc).

So you cannot use your disk to slipstream i cant either and i find that when i do reinstalls people dont have disk that are fully updated either. My only XP disk is a Gateway OEM disk version 1.0. So i have to install like 8 years worth of updates when i reinstall XP on my own computer but i use other people's CD's when reinstalling for them. I actually keep a flash drive with the Service Packs on it. :thumbsup:

Well, I have a Dell cd, and I slipstreamed sp3 and it works great.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

I also have a 7 year old Dell, which came with OEM SP1.

My memory isn't brilliant, but I'm pretty sure that I used NLite to create an SP3 slipstream disk
and have subsequently used it to get to the recovery console; haven't needed to reinstall yet.
(Hopefully it will work for that too).

I did, however, create an SP2 slipstream disk for a different system (another OEM) and it did install
Windows successfully on that one.

The tutorial I used was something along these lines:

http://www.askvg.com/the-best-and-the-easi...ndows-xp-setup/

#8 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

The i guess i am wrong i might look into that also. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic