Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound on Compaq Presario Sr1917cl

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dave019283

dave019283

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

Well as the title says there is no sound on my Compaq Presario Sr1917cl

If you go to my computer > manage it shows "Legacy audio codecs" and "Video Codecs" etc. are all installed and there are no yellow question marks. The problem is if you click properties there is no option to roll back or uninstall, only update.

I uninstalled AC'97 Audio Driver and High Definition Audio Driver from the add/remove programs menu, then reinstalled both but to no avail.

Someone please help me solve this issue!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

The High Definition Audio Driver must be installed first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dave019283

dave019283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Okay I uninstalled Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and Realtek AC'97 Audio again and restarted. Then I installed High definition then AC'97 again and restarted. Still no sound or yellow question marks in computer management.

Something I noticed is when I uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver halfway through it says "error uninstalling" or something but still continues and finishes uninstalling normally.

Any other tips?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

Have you checked to make sure nothing is muted? If your speakers have to be plugged in to a power source, have you checked to make they are firmly plugged in to the outlet? If you use speakers, have you tried headphones?

If the drivers installed:

Something to check (you can look to see if anything is muted when you try this)
Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Advanced in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only* check if it's unchecked. (if you see Advanced in the panel Volume Control, you won't need to check any other advanced settings.)
If it's unchecked, check it.

Open up a player, add a music file, do you now have sound? If you have to, plug the speakers into every port on the card and see if it works.

*it may have another number. If it does, check or uncheck it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 March 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#5 dave019283

dave019283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

This was my first thought but when I go to the sound and audio device properties there is "No Device"

#6 dave019283

dave019283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

Anyone? Still soundless :thumbsup:

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

Other than trying to reinstall it again, all I can suggest is to buy a soundcardif you have an open slot
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users