Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Antivirus 2010 After Effects

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

First off, from what I've read just browsing this forum, you guys do a great service to help people with there computer problems. You are to be commended.
So here is my dilemma. I caught the nasty Vista Antivirus 2010 on my PC (this post is from my Mac), I ran "Rkill" and the Malwarebytes program and everything seems to be running fine, except for my internet connection and my Itunes software when my Iphone is plugged into it.

I have an HP slimline that I use as my PC (this is the infected one) and my connection is wirelessly with a Linksys WUSB100 usb adapter. When the PC is booted up there is no internet signal and no wireless networks to be found. I get the message connection status: unknown The dependency service or group failed to start. I tried to reinstall my drivers for the wireless router and adapter but it stated that i already had another wireless program installed. The Itunes issue is not recognizing the phone when plugged in but I believe that is due to bad drivers also, which could be addressed if I could get internet access on that computer. I wonder if the virus is lurking around still on the computer. Anyway, help would be appreciated. just tell me what to do and I'll follow. Thanks so much.

Brandon

Edited by Andrew, 05 March 2010 - 07:16 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved to AII since there may be lingering infections - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

Do you have an anti-virus product installed? If so, update it and run a scan. Post me the logs.

If not,
  • Download and install an antivirus program, and make sure that you keep it updated
    New viruses come out every minute, so it is essential that you have the latest signatures for your antivirus program to provide you with the best possible protection from malicious software.
  • Two good antivirus programs free for non-commercial home use are Avast! and Antivir
  • Update the anti-virus product you decide to install and let it run a scan. Quarantine any infections it finds.
    Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.
Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hey Casey,

Thanks so much!!! I have Symantec Endpoint, actually bought it the Week i got the virus but it is not installed. I ran Malwarebytes initially. Which seemed to rid me of the "you computer is infected, security breach" pop-ups. But afterwards, my wireless card won't work. Everything else seems (so far) to be running ok. I can take run one of the two mentioned above (after taking malwarebytes off) and post the logs for you. Sorry for the long winded reply.

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hi,

If you've bought Symantec you might as well use that :thumbsup:

I'd just like an Anti-Virus scanner to have a look over your PC and see what it can find. It may be that there is some lingering infection let over.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

Thanks again Casey,

The problem with the End Point software is that it WILL NOT install. It gets to the end and then an error message comes up. "The wizard was interrupted before Symantec Endpoint Protection could be completely installed." So I was going to go with the free software to scan if you feel that is the best option. i do appreciate your help.

Bradon

#6 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

OK, try one of the free options. If one of those installs fine, then maybe try for a refund on your Symantec. If they don't then it may be a sign of lingering malware.

Casey

#7 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

Ok, ran the Avast free. No results found. I still cannot connect to the internet. The dependency service or group failed to start is the error. This is over the wireless network.

#8 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:56 AM

Hi,

I expect then that one of the services required for wireless networking has been disabled.

So I will need you to configure your services. Finding which service is the culprit may be a problem - so this may take a little while. Which Operating System are you running (i.e. XP, Vista, 7)?

Casey

#9 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:31 AM

I am running Vista. I'm hoping you'll kind of walk me through this process. i don't think I've ever completed this process. I appreciate it.

#10 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi,

I will certainly try :thumbsup:

Please do the following:
  • Start > type services.msc in the seach box and tap and enter. A Windows Services window will open.
  • Find the WLAN AutoConfig service and check its status... it should be set to Started and Automatic
  • Now right click on the service name > Properties
    • If the service was not set to automatic, then please try the following:
      • In the "Startup type" box, choose Automatic
      • Restart your computer and see if you can access your wireless network.
      • If this fails to work, then please read step 2.
    • If the service was set set to automatic, or you have completed Step 1, and you still cannot access your wireless network; then click on the Dependencies tab.
    • Note the services listed (they have the cogs symbol by their names).
  • Now go through all of the services listed in the step above and check their statuses. Change their start-up types to Automatic as required.
  • Reboot and hope....
If you have any trouble then let me know :flowers:

Casey

#11 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

This WLAN was not started but was set to automatic. Tried to start it under properties and this message came up "Windows could not start the WLAn Autoconfig service on local computer.

Error1747:The authentication service is unknown"

#12 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:25 AM

Hi,

Could you follow the instructions here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/r...log-corruption/

Let me know if that works,

Casey

#13 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:09 AM

ok thanks. Ill give it a try today. You are a huge help and SUPER patient.

#14 xno_allegiancex

xno_allegiancex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:43 AM

That seemed to do the trick. My iPhone syncs fine and the internet seems to be working. It does seem to be a bit slower than Pre-virus days. any suggestions for that.

#15 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

Hi again,

I'm glad that's worked :thumbsup:

Is the internet considerably slower? We'll try resetting your Hosts file to see if that helps;

Download HostsXpert.zip
  • Extract (unzip) HostsXpert.zip to a a permanent folder on your hard drive such as C:\HostsXpert
  • Double-click HostsXpert.exe to run the program.
  • Click "Make Hosts Writable?" in the upper left corner (If available).
  • Click "Restore Microsoft's Hosts file" and then click "OK".
  • Click the X to exit the program.
  • Note: If you were using a custom Hosts file you will need to replace any of those entries yourself.
Casey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users