Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malfunctioning system, blue screens of death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 quo_status

quo_status

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

I'm using WinXP Pro edition SP2...
I have some major issues with my system that's stopping me from doing many things on it. I've been having lots of crashing issues with this machine since I bought it off a guy (note I am using another pc in another room at the moment, as internet on my pc is not working). Occassionally the "blue screen" in result of a crash with total memory dump. I'm assuming the man overclocked it and caused it to overheat.
Lately it has started to get worser and just the past week it did something with the blue screen crash that made the system begin to get buggy. Internet access is one, click-drag feature doesn't work, installing certain programs or hardware devices not working along with Windows Installer services... I just bought me a portable USB hdd to backup my important files that I need to save. I intend to totally reformat the current drive in which things are messing up on. I even reinstalled my WinXP to see if that would fix anything but everything's still buggy.
Driver devices are not working, sound and some video...
I have done ChkDsk various times, Disk Cleaning and a couple other simple things while other things I tried to do were not working (such as Defrag).

I searched for methods to solve my Click-Drag problem and found this:
http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/4701-...ng-xp-home.html
http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm

A registry edit that assumingly fixes the drag file item issue when merged with registry. I merged it and nothing happened.

I was hoping it would be as easy as hooking up my USB HDD, dragging selected folders over to HDD and then reformat the bad drive... Unfortunately these things are in the way. When I connected my USB drive, the system brought back complex driver installation windows and errors when it should've been as easy as popping it in and go, as it has been with my USB Flashdrive, which even that now brings up 'installation errors' when i plug it in.
Strange thing is, my flashdrive reads and works fine when transfering files, but my USB HDD apparently needs to install as it has a Setup.exe inside (came with internal software for backup.) It reads as an existing drive when I now hook it up but I don't know if I can transfer files over or not, because drag feature doesn't work, and highlighting files to Send To hdd is not available because the HDD is not an available option in the Send To when right clicking.

This has been taking me nearly a week since this happened and while I've gotten some advancement, it's taking a long and slow time. I'm patient and will do whatever neccessary to solve the issue and backup my files so I may reformat my crazy drive!

Much thanks in advance to whoever may lend a hand!

Edited by quo_status, 05 March 2010 - 08:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quo_status

quo_status
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

I have already fixed my OS issue. I had to install the same OS to another folder in order to access my HDD files and transfer. It has deleted my History files it seems unfortunately and there are no restoration points before installation in the new oS.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

Why wasn't this machine updated to SP3? That tells me that your system maintenance is very lacking. You could have been infected with a virus or other piece of malware that could stil infect you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users