Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HJT Log - Major Problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric331

Eric331

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:46 AM

Hello! My computer is infected so badly that it:

1. Keeps re-generating and running tons of adware whenever I'm online - even AFTER I have used Ad-Aware, Spybot and MS AntiSpyware, as well as Symantec and Avast, to delete everything suspicous. (I runs scans in both regular and sfe modes).

2. Even worse, my computer keeps spontaneously re-booting itself every few minutes!!

Even my friend "The IT guy", using all the scans and Regedit, cannot fix it.

My computer is now almost useless for anything unless I'm running in safe mode (and I can't use the internet or print any documents when I'm in safe mode)

This is one nasty little problem that obviusly has hidden itself very, very well.

PLEASE HELP!! THANK YOU!!

Here's my latest HJT log:

========================================

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:04:57 AM, on 9/9/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wintask.exe
C:\Program Files\aim\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
N2 - Netscape 6: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://home.netscape.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\w9ztgu74.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1.4\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTask driver] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wintask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\lddsl4.exe reg_run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dnam] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d140113.a.Stub.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\aim\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk.disabled
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9E248641-0E24-4DDB-9A1F-705087832AD6} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Java - {9E248641-0E24-4DDB-9A1F-705087832AD6} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\aim\aim.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: RunOnce - C:\WINDOWS\system32\woavusd.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hello Eric331 and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. The first thing we need to do is update the operating system.

Your operating system is extremely out of date. By not keeping the OS updated the computer is vulnerable to every infection on the net and in emails today and trying to repair an unpatched system is virtually impossible. For update purposes, Microsoft has even stopped supporting a system that is this far out of date. Go to the Windows Update site and install Service Pack 2. Once that is done, go back to the Windows Update site and install all available Critical Updates. This will patch the system with the most current security fixes and plug all the known holes which are present on this system.

After all of the updates have been performed post a new HijackThis log back here using the Add Reply button and I will review it when it comes in.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Eric331

Eric331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:41 AM

Hello OldTimer - I have done as you instructed - I have installed Windows Service Pack 2 and run more JijackThis logs. I also followed the advice of my friend "the IT expert" (he makes a living at it) who suggested I provide you with TWO follow-up logs, so you can compare the two against each other: (#1) a first log, run immediately after installing SP2 and using MS AntiSpyware to clear some crap off, and (#2) a second log, which I ran after logging onto AOL, running IE while signed on, getting (still!) a whole bunch of pop-ups, and finally the computer spontaneously re-booting itself (see problems described in my original post). I'm (obviously) no expert, but my quick comparison of the two logs does show a few differences between the two.

So, without further ado, here are the two logs:

====================

LOG #1:
======

Scan saved at 7:17:52 AM, on 9/19/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjprx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
N2 - Netscape 6: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://home.netscape.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\w9ztgu74.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: CControl Object - {3643ABC2-21BF-46B9-B230-F247DB0C6FD6} - C:\Program Files\E2G\IeBHOs.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1.4\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lddsl4.exe reg_run
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msjprx] C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjprx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [msjprx] C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjprx.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9E248641-0E24-4DDB-9A1F-705087832AD6} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Java - {9E248641-0E24-4DDB-9A1F-705087832AD6} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\aim\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ShellCompatibility - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsnkinfo.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

============================================

OK, NOW HERE IS LOG #2 :
====

Scan saved at 8:29:57 AM, on 9/19/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
O2 - BHO: CControl Object - {3643ABC2-21BF-46B9-B230-F247DB0C6FD6} - C:\Program Files\E2G\IeBHOs.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xPWIA3] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cxtpls_loader.EXE" /PC=CP.AOP2
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: App Management - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsnkinfo.dll

====================

That's about it for now. Clearly there is something very, very well-hidden that all the usual scans (see original post) simply have not been able to eradicate. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
-Eric331

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

Hi Eric331. Ok, let's get to work. Please print these directions and then proceed with the following steps in order.

Step #1

Download CCleaner and install it but do not run it yet.

Step #2

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
Step #3

Start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O2 - BHO: CControl Object - {3643ABC2-21BF-46B9-B230-F247DB0C6FD6} - C:\Program Files\E2G\IeBHOs.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xPWIA3] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cxtpls_loader.EXE" /PC=CP.AOP2
O20 - Winlogon Notify: App Management - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsnkinfo.dll

Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.

Step #4

We need to make sure all hidden files are showing so please:
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known types option.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Find the following files/folders and delete them (don't worry if they are already gone):C:\Program Files\E2G\ <--folder
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lddsl4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cxtpls_loader.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsnkinfo.dll

Step #5

Start CCleaner and click on the Run Cleaner button in the lower right-hand corner. When it is finished close CCleaner.

Step #6

Reboot normally and run at least 2 of the following on-line virus scans:Bitdefender <<<Add a check by 'Autoclean'.
RAV <<<Add a check by 'Autoclean', leave everything else as is.
eTrust <<<'Cure' whatever is found, then delete if unsuccessful
Housecall <<<Put on 'Autoclean' and delete what it can't clean.
Panda ActiveScan <<<Accept default settings
If there are any files that cannot be automatically disinfected or quarantined then you will need to delete them manually.

Step #7

If you do not already have Ad-Aware SE 1.06 then follow these download and setup instructions: Ad-Aware SE Setup. Otherwise, just check for updates.

Start Ad-aware SE, click the Start button and choose Perform Full System Scan. Click the Next button and wait for the scan to complete. If anything was found, right-click on the list and choose Select All and remove all it finds.

Step #8

OK. Reboot your computer normally, start HijackThis and perform a new scan. Use the Add Reply button to post your new log file back here along with details of any problems you encountered performing the above steps and I will review it when it comes in.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users