Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:16 AM
With ATT here are some tricks: (2wire is a little different)
1. launchmodem.com usually works to get you to the modem. Otherwise, the ip address is usually 192.168.1.254. Use the ipconfig instructions in the previous append to get the default gateway.
2. The plug in sequence for the modem is filtered DSL source (phone wire coming out of the DSL side of the filter splitter) and then power.
3. Wait for the DSL light to be solid. If it doesn't stabilize, then you have to call ATT DSL service. I've never had to wait on the phone more than 15 minutes.
4. Then plug the ethernet cable INTO YOUR COMPUTER and into the correct ethernet plug on your modem.
5. Wait for the ethernet light to start working. If it doesn't, you need to enable the ethernet connection on your computer.
6. Start your browser. Technically, all browsers should work, but if you are on Windows, use the IE browser to avoid compatibility issues (IE8: use compatibility mode)
7. The brower should go directly to a logon screen. Next is important: You must log in with your email address, including the domain name, and the password you have been assigned for your ATT (yahoo) email account. Nothing else will work.
8. If you are successful, then you are done, unless you are going to use a router; ie you need wireless or have more than 1 but not more than 4 ethernet connections.
I can give detailed instructions based on the router you are using However, a key to router success is to set the modem on "bridged mode". The modem should NOT be the DNS. You do this before you leave the modem application.