Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

at&t dsl modem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

we just received our modem from att and when i went to hook it up, we werent getting a dsl connection to the modem. att said they had everything ready to go all we needed to do was hook it up.

we have been trying to call att and figure out the problem but have been put on hold for hours, so until we get ahold of them i was wondering if anybody had similar problems in the past.

when i plug the power supply into the modem, we get a green power light, when i plug the ethernet cable into the computer and the other end to the modem, we get a green ethernet light, and when we plug the phone cable into the modem from the phone jack, the dsl light blinks 3 times and stops.

when i run the installation cd for att high speed internet it gets to the checking connectivity part and says i am experiencing problems, please contact att.

its not a bad phone jack, and the phone cord is brand new.

so any help would be awesome until they decide to take me off hold

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

Have you surfed into the modem/router and entered the user name and password that the ISP gave you?

What is the make and model of the DSL modem? What is below is generally what is done to get a DSL modem connected. If you'll provide the specific make and model we can provide with specific instructions.

Normally if you have it plugged in as you wrote, if you open a command prompt on the PC it is plugged into, type ipconfig /release and hit Enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter it will display the IP address. The default gateway is your router address. If you enter that IP address into a browser's address bar and hit Enter you'll be presented with a box asking for a user name and password. Sometimes it a default and sometimes its assigned by your ISP. There should be paperwork explaining which. Then once you're looking at the routers GUI. You'll look for connection type or something like that and pick Dynamic PPPoE or something like that. It will ask for a user name and password, this is provided by your ISP and normally has @YourISPNameHere.com, and then click Connect and it'll connect.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 aninkling

aninkling

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

With ATT here are some tricks: (2wire is a little different)
1. launchmodem.com usually works to get you to the modem. Otherwise, the ip address is usually 192.168.1.254. Use the ipconfig instructions in the previous append to get the default gateway.
2. The plug in sequence for the modem is filtered DSL source (phone wire coming out of the DSL side of the filter splitter) and then power.
3. Wait for the DSL light to be solid. If it doesn't stabilize, then you have to call ATT DSL service. I've never had to wait on the phone more than 15 minutes.
4. Then plug the ethernet cable INTO YOUR COMPUTER and into the correct ethernet plug on your modem.
5. Wait for the ethernet light to start working. If it doesn't, you need to enable the ethernet connection on your computer.
6. Start your browser. Technically, all browsers should work, but if you are on Windows, use the IE browser to avoid compatibility issues (IE8: use compatibility mode)
7. The brower should go directly to a logon screen. Next is important: You must log in with your email address, including the domain name, and the password you have been assigned for your ATT (yahoo) email account. Nothing else will work.
8. If you are successful, then you are done, unless you are going to use a router; ie you need wireless or have more than 1 but not more than 4 ethernet connections.

Router instructions...

I can give detailed instructions based on the router you are using However, a key to router success is to set the modem on "bridged mode". The modem should NOT be the DNS. You do this before you leave the modem application.

#4 aninkling

aninkling

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

Oh, I should add- skip the CD... it is more problems than it is worth.

#5 thicool

thicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

sorry guys i figured out the problem, i pluged a analog phone into the phone jack and i got a dial tone, so i know its not a connectivity problem.
so its a problem with the modem, the att technician is coming out today with a new modem and hes going to look at it for us.

thanks for all the advice, i appreciate it

#6 thicool

thicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

the problem was when i plugged the phone cord into the modem, the blinking dsl light never stabalized, it was blinking on and off in a set pattern, not random blinks, which meant it had no connection whatsoever. but the att people did a line test to see if there was a wiring problem, and there wasnt, which is how we narrowed it down to the router.

but the technician should be here shortly and we will get it wall worked out.

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users