Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing XP on new computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mark18

mark18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hi, I'm installing a bigger hard drive on an old computer. I've lost the XP disk, but I still have the COA sticker on the side of the computer. Can I use an XP disk for another computer to install XP on my computer and use my COA number or is that illegal and I need to buy a new disk? My computer is HP and the XP disk is a stand alone disk, if that matters.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi, I'm installing a bigger hard drive on an old computer. I've lost the XP disk, but I still have the COA sticker on the side of the computer. Can I use an XP disk for another computer to install XP on my computer and use my COA number or is that illegal and I need to buy a new disk? My computer is HP and the XP disk is a stand alone disk, if that matters.

Thanks

This is all perfectly legal, and make sure that it is a same version (eg Home Keys only work with Home, Pro keys only work with Pro, and etc.).

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

You might want to double-check you computer first with magicaljellybean keyfinder first
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
There's a chance it will be different than the sticker
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

hp will sell a replacement xp media for about 17.00 and shipping.

It is a dvd with out of box recovery including the recovery partition.

If your old drive is still good, make a clone image (clonezilla) of the entire drive, write it to the new drive and trigger the recovery partition using f-10. ctrl f-10 or ctrl f-11 at the bios splash screen.

Let it do a reinstall complete and then use a partition editor to expand the partition to fit the new drive size.

Some HP coa keys can be used with a standard xp disk and some cannot.

The hp recovery disk for your model is auto activated and does not require you enter a key.

#5 CJSommie

CJSommie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

You can use any key you'd like, but after you've got everything installed Windows will let you know that your key doesn't match up, then it'll give you a phone number to call.

It should be a free 800 number, and all you have to do is explain to who ever gets your call what's going on and they'll tell ya what to do from there. Normally the'll just have you go to a verification screen and type in a series of numbers and letters. (A validation code I think.)

From there you'll be good to go :thumbsup:

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

You can use any key you'd like.

Negative you must use a Home Key with a Home CD Pro Key with a Pro CD and OEM with OEM and Retail with Retail. The keys are different.

A retail xp home key will not work on an OEM XP Home install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users