Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows.old files

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BarryO

BarryO

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

I have just installed Windows 7 over Vista expecting all my programs etc to be there , which there not . I do have windows.old files somehow installed on a separate partition . Can I get my old programs back somehow . I don't want to have to download everyting again . Thanks if you can help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 El Jedo

El Jedo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

Hi Barry,
Sounds to me like you will have to re-install your programs. Did you do an in-place upgrade when you installed Win7, or did you do a complete install? Windows usually puts your files in a Windows.Old Folder after a reinstall as opposed to upgrade. If your programs aren't in the Program Files folder of your root directory, chances are you'll need to reinstall them, as you won't be able to migrate them from your old folder. Sorry about that :huh:

#3 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

I did an in-place upgrade . According to this I should have been OK http://lifehacker.com/5152335/windows-7-up...and-vista-users

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

I do have windows.old files somehow installed on a separate partition .

Can you access or explore that folder?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 El Jedo

El Jedo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

what about your User folder? did it migrate to your Windows 7 installation, or is everything under the Windows.old, like your pictures, account settings, etc?

#6 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

Yes

#7 El Jedo

El Jedo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

yes, your user files are where they should be in Windows 7, or yes they are in the Windows.Old part?

#8 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

They're in windows.old

#9 El Jedo

El Jedo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

darn! it does look like the in-place upgrade didn't go according to plan, and you got an install of Win7 that preserved your files, but didn't migrate them. It definitely is possible to do an upgrade that saves your installed programs/settings and makes them usable in Win7, but in your case it didn't work.

I'm going to stick with what I said before that you'll have to reinstall your programs. I've never found a way to migrate or transfer installed programs from another volume or directory, but maybe someone knows more than I do about this. Good luck!

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

No, once you do a clean install, you must reinstall the programs you want. The Windows.old folder contains everything that was there before the clean install, but you can't use any of the programs. You can still retrieve data, but the programs will not run.

I hope that clears things up for you.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#11 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:18 AM

Thanks , I've started downloading & instaling everything . The one thing I didn't back up though was my Firefox bookmarks file if you know what I mean . Any way to recscue that?

#12 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:47 AM

rescue

#13 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:01 AM

I've just been checking My Computer and My D (recovery) drive became my E drive. C &D drive letters swapped,
Windows 7 on C , D has .old files , laptop sytem files . What happened? This was supposed to be simple :huh:

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

I'm not sure what happened with the partitions. But yes, you can retrieve your Firefox bookmarks and your entire profile, if you wish. They would be here:

%Users%\Name\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default (where xxxxxxxx is just random letters and numbers). You can take this entire profile (xxxxxxxx.default) with you and move it into your current Appdata folder (same address, but on different drive). Or you can just dig out your last bookmark backup, move it into the respective folder in your current installation, then restore it inside Firefox.

For the partitions, do this:

Type the following in at the Start Menu and press enter:

diskmgmt.msc

Maximize this Disk Management Window, take a screenshot, and post it here in your next reply.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#15 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

I tried changing Firefox profiles but didn't work .

This is the discs Posted Image

& this is D: Posted Image

where SwSetup is my laptop files.

It's all a mess , I think the best bet is to repartition the drive so C & D are one partition, reinstall Vista from the laptop recovery disc on it. Then reinstall 7 over it. I know I'll have to reinstall all my programs but that's just time

Does this seem reasonable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users