Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Csrss.exe & Winlogon.exe file location question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LizzieUK

LizzieUK

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hello everyone.

I have a query regarding two important Windows files - csrss.exe & winlogon.exe
I know questions about these files have been asked a thousand times but I'd much rather have the answer from one of you guys as to Google giving me mixed reports.

I was using Process Manager (Glary Utilities) trying to work out why my hard drive never settles for more than 2 or 3 seconds when I come across these two files

csrss.exe = \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
winlogon.exe = \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

I know that csrss.exe = Client Server Runtime Server subsystem & Winlogon.exe = Windows NT Logon Application but why do they have the question marks at the start of the file location?

Is it anything to worry about or is it just someone at Microsoft with a sense of humour?

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

P.S. I'm sure it's ZoneAlarm causing the hard drive activity every few seconds. It's driving me potty. Think it's time for a quieter hard drive or better still, another firewall.

Thank you

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

Take a read...

Louis

#3 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Thank you Louis.

It's nice to be reassured every once in a while.

Elizabeth

Edited by Lizzie Charlton, 08 March 2010 - 10:53 AM.

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users