Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP antivirus 2010 and ComboFix results in unbootable XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 benalexandria

benalexandria

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this topic but here is the background. My wife got malware that had pop-up screens that said she was infected and she should buy "XP antivirus 2010". I ran MalwareBytes and Spybot Search and destroy in normal and safe mode and it appeared the problem was solved. However, hours later "XP anitvirus 2010" problem reappeared. I spoke to a computer friend of mine and he suggested that I run combofix. I downloaded combofix and ran it. It installed "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" sucessfully then it ran combofix. Combo fix ran fine until it forced a reboot. It tried to reboot in "normal mode" and failed. At that time, I restarted the computer and it sucessfully ran in "safe mode". At that time combofix continued to run and it completed and created the Combofix log file. Now I may have a computer that does not have malware (it does not show up in "safe Mode"). However, I want to get the computer to boot into "normal mode". Suggestions greatly appreciated. Windows does boot beyond the splash screen but at some point before the normal desktop screen appears it stops accessing the disk and does not complete the boot.

I Posted the above in the XP forum and they suggested I post it here. They also suggested I include the ComboFix. I have attached the log file. Hopefully you will be able to help.

Comment from XP forum below

"Your userinit.exe file was probably infected and Combofix removed it
Since you installed the Recovery Control Panel this should not be too much of a problem for the Malware Removal team

Post your Combofix log here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Explain what happened
They will walk you through the steps to get it to boot again and then follow up to make sure you are virus-free"

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 benalexandria

benalexandria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:50 AM

I solved my problem. I checked the combofix.log and checked what files had been deleted. When I googled one of the file names, it was associated with "Windows Defender". In safe mode, I stopped defender form loading at boot-up and my problem went away.

#3 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed.

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

If I've not posted back within 48 hrs., feel free to send a PM with your topic link. Thank you!

If I have helped you then please consider donating to continue the fight against malware Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users