Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not install Vista OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hi there,

I have had this problem for a long time now and have searched everywhere for solutions. While there are people who have the same error when trying to install Vista, their solutions for a fix did not work well with me. The problem is that I wanted to reinstall Vista on my Toshiba A200 Satellite laptop. Using the recovery disk I was not able to get through the 4th disk because an error occurs and prevents further recovery of the OS. Having tried a few times, I've decided to use my OEM Windows Vista installation CD that I bought for another computer. During that installation, I get stuck on the Expanding Files step; stuck at 0%. Then after 10 mins I get an error message which tells me to hit ok and I go back to my BIOS screen and it goes back to the beginning. I have a theory as to why my laptop won't install Vista, my hard drive has bad sectors on it so is it possible that having those prevent me from recovering or reinstalling the OS? I have installed windows XP successfully on it, however, given the smaller size of the XP OS, it may be that it has not reached those bad sectors when installing XP and therefore I do not get halted on its installation? Any other insight?

Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Do you know what kind of drive it is?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

Before reinstalling again try zeroing it our first
Sometimes that helps. At least that is what they claim in the Seagate forums
Active Killdisk free version 5.1:
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

They also recommended a couple of different hard drive diagnostic tools besides their own:
HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Deviatorz

Deviatorz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

Full specs:

1.73Ghz core2 duo
2GB RAM
120SATA HD
Vista Home Premium
Toshiba Satellite A200 Pro

Edit: so yea SATA

Edited by Deviatorz, 05 March 2010 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users