Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software or Hardware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

I have been working on a friends computer and just about ready to grab a gun- for it, not me.

When I first started working on it the laptop was infected with Vundo. I have the initial MBAM log, which I had to run in Safe Mode. I posted the log in the "Am I Infected" forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299955/need-bc-staff-help/

After much frustration at not being able to run anything in Normal Mode, I backed up all of the stuff on an external HD and Restored the Factory Image from the D: partition.

I then went through the process of TRYING to download and install all of the Windows Updates. Windows Update could not download and install all of the updates because of Error Code 80070017. A search of this error code suggested running CheckDisk to resolve the matter. I did this and still had the problem. Another search suggested the following:

For Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008, follow these steps:

• Click Start, type notepad in the Start Search box, and then click notepad in the Programs list.
  • Copy the following commands, and then paste them into the Notepad file: net stop wuauservCD %systemroot%\SoftwareDistributionRen Download Download.oldnet start wuauserv
  • On the File menu, click Save as.
  • In the File name box, type rename.bat, and then click All Files (*.*) in the Save as type box.
  • Save the rename.bat file to the desktop.
  • Right-click the rename.bat file, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  • Try to install updates again.
Note When the updates are installed successfully, you can safely delete the rename.bat file.

After doing this I was able to get the computer completely updated. I told my friend the computer was fixed and did a little disc cleanup (created a Restore Point, ran Disc Defrag).

I had installed Avast Free and MBAM after the reformat and Factory Image install, and had ran a MBAM scan without any errors or problems before all of the Windows updates were installed. I decided to do one more MBAM update and scan before going to dinner last night. That is when things went wrong.

MBAM stopped responding when it reached this file:
Posted Image">

Thinking this was nothing more than a tmp file that wasn't needed, I decided to move it to a flash drive and rescan with MBAM. During the move I received this Error Message:
Posted Image">

A search of this suggested the following (during the Update error code it also suggested running ChkDsk, and there were some bad sectors):

Start - Run - (type) cmd - Enter
This will bring up a DOS style box with blinking cursor,

At the blinking cursor, type:
chkdsk /f /r - Enter <--- notice the required space before the "/"s.

CHECKDISK will inform you that it cannot be run because files are in use/locked, etc. and will invite you to allow CHECKDISK to run the next time you reboot your machine.

Type "Y" for yes, and then reboot.

After doing this, the screen went to this:
Posted Image">

I am not exactly sure how long this ran, but it started at around 5:00 pm and was still running at 11:00 pm. When I got up this morning, the computer was up and running. I went to the Computer Manager Console to retrieve any reports I could find:
Posted Image

When I clicked on the Errors, this is what happened:
Posted Image

After clicking OK, this popped up:

Posted Image

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do to resolve the problems? Is there a problem with the HD and should I just replace it? The checkdisk found a lot of bad sectors.

Please Help,

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

If chkdsk found multiple bad sectors, I would run one more test to be sure the drive is faulty.

You may want to think about testing your hard drive with the manufacturer's testing utility. A list of manufacturer's testing utilities can be found here.

If the manufacturer's drive test once again states problems with the disk, then yes I would replace the failing hard drive.

You also may want to find the install disks for this laptop as you'll not have the "D:" partition or the image on the new drive.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have the machine build information from Dell's website, however I am not sure who the manufacturer of the HD is:

GW118

HD,120G,SATA,9.5,5.4K,2.5,H080

Would PC Wizard reveal this? Otherwise, I am sure Dell would be more than happy to sale a replacement. Or, is there another way of finding out who made the HD?

Do you if I can just copy the D: partition to an external HD? If I could do this, I could partition the new HD and copy this back over.

Thanks again,
Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#4 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Nevermind on the manufacturer. Just did a search and it is an Hitachi. I will run the test.

Thanks,
Golfdude

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

I've had good success using Acronis True Image with even the worst of hard drives to recover multiple partitions onto a new drive.

I have then been able to use the existing restore partition to "rebuild" the laptop/desktop. Acronis does have a cost associated with it, but in my opinion, it is worth its weight in gold for these situations.

Does it always work and is it foolproof? No. Not always but if you can save yourself some time by trying and even accomplishing the image this way, you're that much further ahead. There would be no having to contact Dell for the CD's.

The easiest way to find out what drive is in the machine is to open the hard drive carrier.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

Got my answer- HD.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time to give my friend the bad news....

Thanks again,
Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users