Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something wierds going on with my router.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nukie

nukie

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hey Gang.

So recently I bought a new DIR 300 Dlink Wireless network to setup around the home. Now after setting it up (LAN only so far, not the wifi bit), on the router's settings it said the the router was connected to the internet, and a quick call to my ISP said that it is connected on their end aswell. However whenever I try to use the internet with a web-browser it doesnt work, Similarly pinging a website like yahoo.com doesnt work also.

Does anyone know thats going on?

Probably some important info:
- My current set up is that, My PC is connected to my router which is connected to my modem which connects to my internet outlest on the wall.
- I have a DSL modem
- My internet uses dynamic PPPoE
-The internet works perfectly when I connect to it without the router
-My PC runs on XPSP3 and has Norton Anti-Virus (something I havent mess aorund with yet)
-Ive updated the firmware on my router

Soo... yeah, do you guys know whats going on? Any help would be appeciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

What is the make and model of your DSL modem?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

When your computer is directly connected to the DSL Modem and you connect to the internet, do you see a connection window similar to the old dial-up screen before you can connect? ( This would be windows XP making the PPPOE connection )

If you do, then your computer still thinks it needs to "connect" first before trying to access the internet.

On Windows XP, go into the internet options and click on the connections tab. Make sure you have the dot next to "never dial a connection"
Posted Image

Reboot your computer and once again try accessing the internet.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 nukie

nukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

The modem is a motorola steamaster 5000 (provided by the ISP).

And the connection is already set to "Never dial a connection". When not using the router I always click an icon created in my Network Connections which 'logs me in' dial up style.

Thanks.

#5 Broncoeasy

Broncoeasy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

You need to configure your DSL Modem to work with the router by changing it to multi mode; normally the ISP can walk you through it. Only Linksys routers work with DSL Automatically.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

I have never seen a box like that, it does TV and high speed? Who is your ISP?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 nukie

nukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

Im pretty sure i dont need to do anything with my modem.... especially because I cant, you cant configure it at all.

Yeah it provides cable television at internet all in one.

My ISP is a company called Grapevine...Its a small Australian Company.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:07 AM

What you need to do is set the router to make the connection for you.

Connect it the way you had it, modem to the WAN/Internet port on the router, your PC plugged into one of the 4 other ports. Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /release and hit Enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter. You should see an IP address like 192.168.0.XXX where XXX is 2 or more. Once you see that type the Default Gateway ( should be 192.168.0.1 ) into the address bar of a browser and hit Enter. Box should pop up asking for a user name and password. UN = admin leave the PW blank and hit Enter. This should bring you into the router. Just go through the wizard, it should prompt you for a new PW ( remember it ), set the time zone, then the connection type is User name/Pasword connection ( PPPoE ) enter the user name and password from the connection on your PC, leave the rest of the stuff on that page alone. I don't think you'll need to clone your MAC address but you might. Go through the rest and make sure you Save Changes.

All this did was move the connection from your PC to your router.

If it doesn't work. Surf back into the router and try cloning the MAC address. Look in the manual for the router, if its not printed it should be on the CD, for how to do that.

If it still doesn't work just hook the PC back up to the modem, do the release/renew and then connect with the connection on your PC.

#9 nukie

nukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:02 AM

I got a call back from D-Link about 9 hours later than they said they would call. They slowly were able to fix up what was going on. In the end... I needed to make the router go through a certian DNS Server by changing the Internet Protocol on my Local Area Connection.

Thank you everyone for your contributions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users