Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gloveroliver12

gloveroliver12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:23 AM

Is windows 7, the best operating system of all time.

What is your opinion about Windows 7??

regards Gloveroliver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:31 AM

In my opinion, XP is a better OS. But XP is going away and you will be forced to go with win7 eventually. Don't get me wrong, I like win7, but until they fix the problems with IE8 and compatability with older programs, it just ain't as good. I don't know if they will ever do anything to make the compatability any better, I don't even know if they can..

I've only had trouble running a couple of programs so it's not like it's terrible. IE8, almost every time I have it open it screws up. I run Firefox, my wife runs IE8 because she's use to it. :huh:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

Is windows 7, the best operating system of all time.

That would be a "No". You can't say it is the absolute best. That would take quite a strong argument.

While XP is the classic that everybody will try to hold on to, Windows 7 is what everybody will (and should) be going to. It's just better. It has the speed of XP with more shine than Vista, and much better reliability than Vista.

But I wouldn't call it the best. Yes, XP does hold a few things over Windows 7, like program compatibility (but even now, there are ways around that like: XP Mode, Program Compatibility Assistant, etc...). I've only experienced 1 program that is completely incompatible with Windows 7. Everything else runs like a dream. Pretty much everything that ran in Vista, will run in 7 (along with most XP programs, but not all).

But there is just so much more there in 7 than there was in XP. Check here for a comparison.

I run Windows 7 on both my laptop and netbook, and I can honestly say that I will never go back to Vista or XP.

As for IE8, yes, it sucks terribly. I started using Firefox before IE8 came out, and I'm glad I did, because IE8 is one of the worst browsers I've seen, to date. Every page is "broken" unless you use "Compatibility Mode" on it. What was the point of making the browser more "advanced" if it just makes it harder to browse? Firefox wins here by a long shot.

But yeah, I would be hard pressed to say Windows 7 is the best. It has its pros and cons like anything (thankfully more pros than cons), but it's where the future of PC's are headed. Thankfully, for now, it's in a good direction. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

The best Operating System of all time is the one that best serves you and your needs.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

The best Operating System of all time is the one that best serves you and your needs.

Exactly.

That's what I was trying to say in so many words, but you summed it up nicely. Well done. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

I have used all of them and i like Windows 7 but then i still use Xp and i do have one computer that i have not yet upgraded from Vista but then agian i dont have any of the problems with Vista that other people have had so... :huh:
Honestly if your computer can take it the go to Windows 7 but if not wait until they compelety stop supporting XP.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

Well I didn't think I would ever leave XP-PRO but I did. I'm using W7 64 bit and I'm glad I changed. If you are worried about old programs get W7 Ultimate or Pro. Most companies make programs for W7 32 and 64 bit systems and IMHO all companies will soon if not now. Is W7 the best ever, well it's the best I have ever used. I would bet a dollar to a donut hole that Mr. Gates and his people are working on another system to get us to buy. There will never be a best just better and I think W7 is the better operating system as of now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users