Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Evesham PC Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 timj17

timj17

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:06 AM

Hi,

I am trying to fix a computer issue on an Evesham pc with the p965 Neo-f V2 motherboard.

The pc originally would not start vista (had been working for 2 years) and recovery and none of the system tools worked. Also the computer restarted whenever I ran chkdsk from the command prompt in the recovery.

I replaced the hard drive thinking that would be the end of the problems. But cannot install windows of any type, it gets to expanding files in vista or 34 minutes remaining (sometimes 25!) in XP and restarts itself every time.

I have replaced so far the psu, hardrive, graphics card and have tried just using one of the memory chips and DVD drives to see if they were a problem. But nothing makes any difference! Temperatures seam fine in the bios but sometimes the dvd drive seems to have no power. The computer will stay on for as long as you like if you donít go any further in windows installation. Also the computer restarted whenever I ran chkdsk from the command prompt in the recovery.

Any ideas or help appreciated. I don't fully understand the bios on the board and in the standard cmos setup it only shows the hard drive as the primary master and doesn't show the dvd drives? is that correct? It will boot from the dvd though. Or is it a mainboard or processor problem, and if so how can I be sure?

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

it gets to expanding files in vista or 34 minutes remaining (sometimes 25!) in XP and restarts itself every time.

That usually indicates a scratched or damaged CD
Try cleaning it, maybe even rub it out with some non-smokers toothpaste, using straight motions from the center hole outwards

When you first start the computer, the black and white screen does not list the DVD drive?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 timj17

timj17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

Hi,

I can't believe its the CD's because I have tried XP, Vista and now Windows 7 Discs. They all fail. Also it restarts during a normal chkdsk.

In the Bios. Under standard cmos settings only the hard drive is listed.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hi,

I can't believe its the CD's because I have tried XP, Vista and now Windows 7 Discs. They all fail. Also it restarts during a normal chkdsk.

In the Bios. Under standard cmos settings only the hard drive is listed.

Not all BIOS utilities list CDROM or DVD drives under the Main BIOS screen (the one showing system date and time.) This screen in some BIOSes only list hardrives as (primary master) (primary slave) (secondary master) (secondary slave) Is this what your seeing in your MAIN BIOS screen?

Do you have any idea who your BIOS firmware is written by? e.g. AMI, Phoenix or Award.

Edit: Is your system E-IDE or SATA? I will direct you ferther as soon as you post your answers.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 March 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 timj17

timj17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

The bios is ami v 0.2.61. The motherboard has IDE and Sata and I have the hard drive on sata and DVD drive as master on the IDE.

Tried swapping data cables today, that made no difference.

Tried installing vista again. It has long pauses between the initial setup screens where the computer appears to almost sleep and the DVD drive spins down. It again restarts on 1% expanding files. Not confident however that it even copied the files.

Do you think it's worth trying a nee motherboard or could it be a setting messed up?

Thanks.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

Test the RAM to ensure that it is not the problem:

http://www.memtest.org/

Also, do you know what brand of hard-drive you have in that computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 timj17

timj17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

I did the windows ram test which said it was fine. Also put the sticks in another pc which worked no probs. I could put them back in the pc to test with the one you mentioned above. I have also tried just using one stick at a time.

The original drive is a maxtor sata, have tried with another maxtor sata and an old samsung IDE.

Thanks

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

In that case it seems to point to a problem with the motherboard (as you have replaced just about every other part), although it's impossible to say for sure.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

You stated above in your opening post "sometimes the DVDROM has no power."

I know you said you replaced the PSU. Ok so that means your new PSU should be supplying the +12v and +5v to the drive. Of course you could use a VOM meter to check the voltages RED wires being +5 volts and Yellow being +12 volts and black being -12 or Ground.

I suggest you try checking the IDE data cable for damage, make sure its pushed all the way into the IDE socket on the DVD drive.

You could try resetting your BIOS by way of the jumpers found on the board which usually have CLR CMOS marked next to them on the motherboard. This won't erase your BIOS but it will clear the date and time and reset everything back to factory defaults. I also suggest that you remove the CMOS battery, because in a lot of cases shorting the CLR CMOS pins can also short out the CMOS battery if it is still in the battery holder.

If it's been a while, replace the battery while you are at it, as a weak battery can cause problems as well.

I also can not stress the importance of protecting a computer from ESD damage, Electro Static Discharge, please keep one hand on the computer's metal casing any time you touch anything inside the case.

Ok now you also stated each time you attempt to install windows the computer restarts during the install, I am going to assume this restart is not part of the install's needed restart, which Windows does to set up drivers.

At which point does it restart? Does it restart in random places or one specific spot?

My last question is in regards to a driver that might be activated at a certain point that causes the restart to happen when it shouldn't.

The next question is if it is driver related, which driver is causing you a problem?

So I ask that very important question which is "At which point does the computer restart during the install of Windows XP?"

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 timj17

timj17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:48 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your mesaage.

I will check the voltages tonight.

During setup of xp, vista or windows 7 it restarts without notice (as it did during chkdsk). In XP I was getting to 34 minutes remaining (although I once got to 25 mins), installing devices. However I just tried it again this morning after resetting the cmos and it got to the first planned restart and then said 'There is an error with your Operating Sytem' after it asked if I wanted to boot from cd.

I have replaced the ide and sata cables and check they are fully inserted, that made no difference.

I think I have a spare backup battery so will replace this later and see if I have any more luck, but the time and date were correct in the bios before resetting.

Thanks for your help.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your mesaage.

I will check the voltages tonight.

During setup of xp, vista or windows 7 it restarts without notice (as it did during chkdsk). In XP I was getting to 34 minutes remaining (although I once got to 25 mins), installing devices. However I just tried it again this morning after resetting the cmos and it got to the first planned restart and then said 'There is an error with your Operating Sytem' after it asked if I wanted to boot from cd.

I have replaced the ide and sata cables and check they are fully inserted, that made no difference.

I think I have a spare backup battery so will replace this later and see if I have any more luck, but the time and date were correct in the bios before resetting.

Thanks for your help.

Ok, let us know how things turn out with the voltages.

If you need help with that I believe garmanma BC's site Moderator has a page on this site which has photos showing the wiring harness pin outs and wire color codes, if you need that perhaps he can supply you with the link to the page.

In your quote above, you stated "it got to the the first planned restart" Did it ever get to this point before you did the CLR CMOS?

I know at some point the installation disk is no longer needed for the installation to continue properly and can be ejected from the cd/dvd drive, because basically windows stores all the needed files on the hard drisk, so perhaps at this point when it asks to boot from the cdrom again, ignore this request and let it proceed on its own. In other words don't hit the enter key, just let it proceed on its own. which should be to your harddrive and to the setup files windows stored on the drives 'boot sector'.

As for BIOS settings, I will wait till you try the above proceedures and see how that goes. If those fail, I will attempt to get a pdf image of your motherboards owners manual, which should have pages related to your BIOS setup utility menus and I will assist you ferther.

Keep us posted please. :thumbsup:

#12 timj17

timj17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hi.

Tried the volt meter. The red and yellow were correct but didn't get anything on the black. Maybe Im not doing it the right way. I'll research it!

Actually got xp to instal today by disabling the acpi in the bios. Thought I would give vista a go but it needs acpi and comes up with an error saying so. So I turned it back on, just trying an instal again.

I thought I was being parranoid at first, but vista definately hangs between inital setup pages (language, licence key) until I hit a key on the keyboard?! Does that tell you anything?

Vista just got to 11% expanding files and restarted itself! It's not a planned restart as if I leave it to boot from the hard drive it says bootmgr failed and if I press a key to boot from cd it restarts from the begining.

Thanks!

#13 timj17

timj17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

Gave up and bought a new motherboard. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152225

It works! No issues installed it and Vista installed first time!

Don't what the problem with the MSI board was but I may steer clear of them from now on!

Thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users