Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Microsoft AntiSpyware beta worth using

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:45 AM

Do you ever find anything with your Microsoft AntiSpyware beta? It has been 3 months since it found a tracking cookie. As a Microsoft beta tester, I will be contacting Microsoft with your answers (only answers, no user names). I know it's free, and a beta, but really!!! So many people have it, but it never finds anything. Microsoft must have done something to it.

I would love to take some facts to them, if someone will give me their thoughts on this program. Maybe we can get it to find something again?!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:45 AM

MS Antispyware hasn't found any spyware on my PC. As I mentioned below, the real time protection feature does tend to slow my computer down a bit. However, I like the tracks eraser feature.

#3 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:14 AM

micaman:

This is not exactly what you were looking for, but since you are a beta tester you may want to verify and report the following observations.

Application Agents - Script Blocking

There appears to be two problems in the way that the Application Agent - Script Blocking operates.
  • If for example I right click on a .reg file and instead of clicking "Edit" I elect to "Open with ." (with the intention of selecting "Notepad" for example), Microsoft AntiSpyware immediately issues a pop-up dialog "A script requires your approval" before I even before I have even select an "Open with ." program. This then brings up two issues:
    • If I answer "Allow", Microsoft AntiSpyware assumes I am executing the .reg file, starts Registry Editor and attempts to update the registry. Thankfully I can stop the execution with the dialogs within Registry Editor or else an unintended update of the registry would occur.
  • It also appears as if whether I leave "Remember this action" checked or uncheck it (for either an "Allow" or "Block") the decision is remembered. In other words un-checking "Remember this action" appears not to take the correct action and stores the entry preventing future decisions.
Regards,
just me

#4 micaman

micaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:06 AM

"Ally Maypole" and "just me," this is just the stuff I wanted! I am looking for errors with this product. I really like this program and want to help Microsoft make it better by giving them some feedback. Mine has not been very busy, as I stated, but it does still work very well. The item it found in june was classified as a threat by Micrsoft, but it really was a tracking cookie. I know that M.S. AntiSpyware does not clean tracking cookies, but that is what it was. I am glad to have your feedback and I will add it to my file. I think there are many useful tools with this program and I would keep it even if it did not find anything, ever!

#5 Situationeer

Situationeer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:30 PM

Haha, it sure does find stuff for me, but the problem is...it doesn't fix it! Sorry I can't be more elaborate, I'm at school and can't give you the names of the specific problems.

#6 gotgame23saw

gotgame23saw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

I just ran it this evening in an attempt to get rid of lockx.exe and it detected 3 pieces of 6 items from the definitions loaded today.

#7 Halo26

Halo26

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:08 AM

I don't know about you, but personally my MS Anti-spyware picks up alot of stuff with the Real-time protection but nothing really with the scan. I haven't really ever had any problems with this program, but I do know some people who have. I'll get there information and post it on here for yah though.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

I like it and haven't had any real problems since I've been using it. I spend a lot of time on the seamier side of the web and have gotten by using:

Harware firewall (in the router)
Sygate Personal Firewall
AVG Free
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
FireFox browser

But the biggest thing is to NOT CLICK on anything that you aren't sure of. I'll close all of my FireFox sessions (typically 40 tabs in 4 instances) rather than click on a box to close it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

This may or may not help your cause. Thought I would post it just in case.

This from Patrick M. Kolla of safer-networking.org
the home of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

July 2005

The more important update though is the new Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 902956 , which describes the false positive Microsoft AntiSpyware has about Spybot-S&D, and what to do about it. So for those who didn't trust us when we recommended to allow the work of our Immunization when Microsoft AntiSpyware complained, here is the official explanation from Microsoft.

The above quoted info. is an update from this Spybot news item. Scroll down to the last article.

How Microsoft defines "right away"...21. June 2005

Edited by Scarlett, 06 October 2005 - 09:04 AM.

Posted Image

#10 micaman

micaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:06 AM

Thanks to everyone for providing feedback. I will be sending in my information to Microsoft around Dec 5th, so please keep it coming. Every word will be used, no matter how small. :thumbsup:

Scarlett, I read everything you send me and have this at the top of my list. They can not mess with my Spybot! :flowers: I could not believe how Microsoft treated Spybot with this problem. I will send in something this week and try to help out.

The answer they (Spybot) received did not sound all that clear and the case may be on going. Even if everything is resolved, I think Microsoft needs to have some more information on this issue.

Thanks for your post!

:trumpet:

Edited by micaman, 06 October 2005 - 02:13 AM.

#11 starship

starship

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

I've been using MS AntiSpyWare (Beta 1) since Sept 19, 2005.

It has never found anything.

At first I thought it may be because I normally have Spyware blocker running full time and I run AdAware and Spybot first. SpySweeper is also running resident.

I've shut off everything and run with just MS AntiSpyWare for several days.

A sweep(full) still turns up nothing. If I then run one of the others, after a sweep, it always finds several items, other than tracking cookies.

I'm not sure I'll continue with MS after the beta expires in 5 weeks.

Heck, I'm not sure where to go for the new one, anyways. :thumbsup:

Edited by starship, 18 November 2005 - 03:34 PM.

#12 micaman

micaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:29 AM

Hey Starship,

Don't give up on the beta now called Windows Defender. It should have most of the issues fixed. The scanner has been "lax" for some time with most everyone I talk with. This will not be the case with the new release. You will not have to go or do anything to get it. You will be notified by a pop up when it is ready, which should be in the next 3-5 weeks. It will continue to be freeware, as long as you have a validated windows operating system.

I have done a lot of research on this product and where it is going, and I can tell you that you will want to keep it and use the new Windows Defender, along with your current line-up.

As a Microsoft Partner and beta tester of many new programs coming your way, I can tell you that Microsoft's future product line-up is going to be quite impressive! Security is "TOPS" with Microsoft now and forever more. Windows, Internet Explorer and the rest will be some of the safest stuff out there very soon.

I think we will be dealing with more breaches from all the other guys for awhile. There are a lot of people spreading false information about Microsoft's security plans and programs, but you will be impressed with the changes coming. Keep everything the way you have it and give it a little more time and you will be happy again.

Many people thought I was dissing this program by starting this thread, or that I did not know this program very well, but that is not true. I was simply doing some research to find some more ammo to fire at "Redmon Row" to improve this program to the hilt.

Edited by micaman, 19 November 2005 - 01:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users