Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP does not boot from harddisk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hi,

My pc does not boot from my 40gb seagate harddrive.Im not sure if it's the physcal damage on hd or corrupt mbr or the windows itself that I must blame this issue on.It seems to require boot disk each time so it could boot from hd with no fuss at all.Otherwise,it would just hang with blank screen and green led on without passing to cdrom the boot process as cdrom is next in boot sequence.
I have almost done what it all seemed I could possibly do but to no avail. I tried installing windows recovery thinking there might be something wrong somewhere else in hd's boot sector yet, the same result.Im trying to narrow down the issue so I could determine if it's software or hardware that is at fault.Thanks for all your suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

have you tried to change your boot settings to boot from cd first??

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

You could try a couple of things.

Here is a link to an NTLDR fix:

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

You will need to burn a CD or floppy and then once on, you can determine what needs to be done to fix it.

Or, have you treid a Repair Install, using the OEM CD? After it boots up, it will ask if you want to repair using recovery console or install. Pick install.

On the next screen it should give you the choice of repairing the existing OS.

hope this helps.
DR

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:21 AM

I've done all of the above.I really appreciate your replies.Im into preparing to burn diagnostics cd for my harddrive>i"ll keep you updated<thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users