Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 32/64 bit?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 binini

binini

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

should i buy the 64 bit version or 32?

my processor is amd athlon 62 X2 dual 5000+ 2.61 ghz

and i have 3gb of ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tsugumi

Tsugumi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:44 AM

I would recommend the 32-bit version. 64-bit won't take advantage of the 3GB RAM. I would recommend 64-bit for computers with 4GB+ RAM.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:21 AM

Yes, the only reason to chose 64-bit over 32-bit is because 64-bit can utilize over 4GB of RAM, while 32-bit cannot.

Also, your processor may or may not be able to support a 64-bit OS (I tried searching the web, but was unfruitful).

So, 32-bit would be fine for you. If I'm not mistaken, I think they include both bits in retail copies of Windows 7 (or so I've heard).

Enjoy Windows 7!! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 binini

binini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

what happens if i want to add another 1gb ram (i have 1 slot left i might want to fill) will windows 7 let me?

oh and i have purchased from a student online shop thing so its only the 32 bit edition =P

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

Yes, you can add another GB of ram if you so please (see here). There isn't much point in my opinion, as you will likely never come close to filling up the 3GB while using it. I've had 3GB since Vista, and see no reason to go to 4GB (it's like living alone in a 3,000 sq ft house or "upgrading" to a 4,000 sq ft house....what's the point?). See what I mean?

Well, I guess that settles the bit question, then. :huh:

If you do get some more RAM (now or whenever), I recommend you buy from Crucial.com. They will make sure you are buying the correct kind, and they have some of the best prices around. :huh:

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

I would recommend getting 64bit to be future proof so you wouldn't have to go out and buy a new OS to install over your current one. All you would need to do is install more RAM. If possible get a package deal with retail Windows 7 and see if you can get both 32 and 64bit versions.

#7 binini

binini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

if i have 64 bit without having more then 4 gb of ram will it not work?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

if i have 64 bit without having more then 4 gb of ram will it not work?

It will work just fine.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

I chose 64 bit. 64 bit is for now and the future. Some day you might want more Ram for what ever reason. W7 64 will run great on 3 gigs or more. I like the more.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

Make sure your processor can support 64-bit before you get it....I know nothing about AMD's, but you should definitely look into it before you go to the trouble of getting the disc, only to see an error message when trying to boot from it (you cannot boot a 32-bit processor off a 64-bit install disc, you get an error message).

The RAM is mostly irrelevant...the processor is the main issue. I hope everything works out for you. :huh:

#11 Cybr

Cybr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

If you are buy a Home Prem/Pro/Ultimate Retail edition, it should have both 32 and 64 bit versions included so you can give one a try and then if you don't like it, remove and install the other. The same product key should work for both versions. However, if you buy an OEM edition, I think your are stuck 64 bit or 32 bit. No choice of installing one or the other with the same product key.

I'm running the retail upgrade edition of W7 Pro 64-bit on this system with 3GB of ram and it runs just fine. I too, like LB above, chose to run the 64-bit versions because it is the future.

Edited by Cybr, 06 March 2010 - 07:58 PM.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHZ | Foxconn G31MX MB | NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB | 3 GB RAM | 500GB/160GB HD's | Win7-64, Vista-32, XP, Ubuntu

#12 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

I was in your boat with RAM and comparable processor. Heres what I did:

split up my HDD into 2 partitions, Installed 32 and 64 on a dual boot setup, didnt activate either.

Used both installs for same tasks and watched performance.

Once you decide which one you are going to use, delete the other partition, and activate windows in the install that is left.

I ended up choosing 32 bit, seemed to run a bit smoother for me.

Good Luck

#13 binini

binini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

as i am geting student discounted version i can only get a 32 bit or a 64 bit so i cant to a test=(

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

Id get 64bit.

#15 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

If you were still interested Here you can download a 90 day trial of windows 7 enterprise either 64/32 bit. Could help you decide and then you only buy the one you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users