Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 IP's 1 DSL?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

My home network is running on one DSL. I know that the DSL assigns the same external ip too all the computers, I was wondering if I could subnet my computer some how for it too gain its own external ip.

Possible solutions?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

Nope you can't.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:37 AM

Would adding a second DSL make it at all possible?

Also : Sorry I haven't gotten back too you on that port issue, I didn't know what too say, it just seemingly started working.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

You could switch over to a business class DSL and get two or more static IP addresses over the same DSL line. The real question would be why do you want two addresses? Most things acan be done with one address and the use of the proper router setup.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Well I am currently hosting a small server over here, and none of the other computers inside the LAN can access the site, or connect too the server, as everything is set too the same ip.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

You need to do to things. First get a router and set it up to access the internet using the single IP you have been assigned. Secondly using either the router or your server set up DHCP for you local LAN. Make sure your server's and router's local IP addresses are in the same subnet.

You are having problems because every computer in the LAN needs a unique IP address based on the same subnet mask. One IP will more than meet your needs with the proper setup.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users