Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to browse, popup "Are you human"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jp37

jp37

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

Hi, this is my first time posting. I am not sure exactly how I contracted this malware or virus but here is the info:

Whenever I open either internet explorer or firefox, I get a popup that says "are you human?" with the choices of OK, Cancel, or the X at the top right. No matter which of the three buttons is pressed, the popup reappears. I am unable to do anything else with the browser, cannot use menu tabs, address bar, anything within the browser, or X out of it. Only way to close browser is through task manager to kill the process. The one difference when you hit OK is that it takes you to a website called podmena.us and asks for a login and password, but again the popup is there leaving you unable to do anything but see the site.

After this I used my phone to google podmena and are you human. I came across a few forums that said there was a podmena virus and listed a few possible locations in the computer such as c:\program files\podmena. I did not find any of these in my computer. I did a search for anything podmena and nothing came up. I went to command prompt and did dir podmena *.*/s and nothing came up. I ran spybot and nothing came up.

The only thing that allowed me to get on the internet to get through here was going through task manager and killing process by process until I got through. I had several instances of rundll32.exe. Prior to closing each one I clicked to check the location of the file, and they were all the same at the system32 folder. I closed two instances of the process and then the popup stopped coming up. I am pretty sure that whatever the malware is, it is still there but temporarily disabled. If anyone could offer some help with what I can do to figure out what it is, and maybe a program I could use to fix the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance, please let me know if there is additional information I could provide to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ysosuk

ysosuk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

I have the same problem

#3 la cascada

la cascada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

try these:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

or Click Start | Run | Cmd | c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k podmena | Enter

OR try using system restore point. I went back a day before I saw the issue and it has not come back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users