Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mac vs. pc

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sidd0123

sidd0123

• Banned
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

Which one is better? I would like to know about start up and shut down speeds, computing speed, multiple processing, etc.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

PC by far. Macs are nothing more than a status symbol.
A PC gives you the performance of a Ferrari with the price of a used Ford from ten years ago. A Mac gives you vice-versa.

Don't worry about getting viruses. You can download some very good free antivirus software. Most antivirus programs now are install-and-forget. I have Avast, and it constantly keeps itself up to date and scans in the background without any noticeable slowdowns.

Edited by RainbowSix, 05 March 2010 - 02:07 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

PC all the way i find that Mac's are far too exopensive when you could get a PC with the same spec's for much cheaper. I have used almost every windows operating system except for some of the really old ones. The only thing i would advise would be to get a good antivirus program for both Mac (if you get one) or the PC. I heard that they are starting to come out with Mac virus's. :blink:

#4 gorydragon

gorydragon

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

PC by FAR. Macs are extremely expensive compared to PC's of the same exact power. for example, to upgrade 4gb memory in a Mac Pro costs $600. you can get 4gb of memory for a PC online for less than $90. yeah, you read that right. the only reason macs used to be better protecting against viruses was because no programmer would go through the trouble of writing a virus for a system that nobody used. now that macs became a little more popular, coders are writing viruses for macs and there is absolutely no reason to waste money on a mac.

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:36 AM

OSX is based on FreeBSD. There is no reason to pay for something that's free.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 WhiskeyTango73

WhiskeyTango73

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:18 PM

You need to shave. Which tool do you choose to do it with?
Mac = bowling pin. Leave it to the "professionals"
Windows = electric razor. Power tool, gets the job done, and you have control.
Linux = straight razor. Precision. you have to practice, but it's the closest shave possible.

Mac is duel bootable - triple bootable, though. $$$$$$

Edited by WhiskeyTango73, 24 March 2010 - 11:19 PM.

#7 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

WhiskeyTango nailed it. What do you want to do with your computer? How much do you tweak it? Are you comfortable messing around with settings?

If you solely look at gigahertz and gigabytes, Macs are by far and wide pricier. Because they use Intel, comparison is so much easier. However, if you want a *nix box without driver issues, then the Mac is the way to go.

Start with "what do I want to do?" and then move your way up.

#8 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

without driver issues, then the Mac is the way to go.

Sorry, but this is a fallacy spread by Apple.
Driver issues are nothing to be concerned about for the average user. The manufacturer pre-installs necessary drivers on each system.
The reason why there aren't any driver issues on a Mac is because there aren't any drivers to begin with. Many devices do not have Mac support at all.

Edited by RainbowSix, 26 March 2010 - 01:41 PM.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#9 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

Ah, it looks like I wasn't clear with my wording. What Macs have as an advantage is that their INTERNAL hardware is uniform. They all use graphic processors from Nvidia, processors from Intel, etc.

Windows, on the other hand, has to be able to support a wide variety of hardware. Some, they support wonderfully. Others, you get headaches. Yet others, they cause conflicts with other drivers and create hell. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had to deal with driver conflicts.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

Theres really not a whole lot of differance between Apples and IBM Compatible PC's at this point. Both use x86 or AMD64 based Processors (Intel owns the rights to the x86 Architecture and lets AMD and others make processors based off of it, AMD owns the AMD64 Architecture and lets Intel and others make processors using it).

Yeah, Apple is a walled garden when it comes to hardware but it works for and against them (less hardware compatibility issues, less hardware flexibility) and the opposite is true for Windows, but thats what MS designed it for, (more flexibility, more hardware compatibility issues).

The OS realy isn't all that different from the end users point of view, with Apple there are less options available for 3rd party software but not much less. Mac OSX
is based on Unix, not FreeBSD, (like most OS's today, ie: BSD and Linux) but uses their own file system (HSF, I think), Windows isn't based on Unix but also uses their own file system(NFTS last I checked), the rest mainly share the EXT file system

The GUI's (Graphical User Interfaces, menus, desktop, etc) are just icing on the cake. Want Windows to look like Mac, it can be done, want Mac to look like Windows, it can be done, (really if you wanted to you could make them look like something off of Star Trek)

What has taken me this much to say??? A personal computer is exactly that "personal" and depending on you you may prefer Apple to PC or vice-versa the only way to know is to try both (go to the Apple store and piddle around on one of the displays then got to best buy and do the same with a windows 7 laptop).

And from what I remember of OSX leopard it loads faster on roughly identical hardware (my brother has a MacBook spec'd similar to my laptop and we both booted them up at the same time and he was online before me last time he was in, but mine is a little bloated with AV and junk, his was fresh out of the box new)

Posted Image

#11 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:11 AM

Mac OSX is based on Unix, not FreeBSD

Apple's Mac OS X is based in part on FreeBSD and includes a rich UNIX® foundation in addition to the proprietary Apple user interface.

source: http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#12 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Try a PC.
Of course there will always be more viruses but a good av like Norton will fix that!
Aside from that there is'int many good software for Macs.

Mac=Good for Designing
PC=Good for everyday use and business

#13 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

PC Mags review of the newest 21" iMac
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367102,00.asp
A Mac biased comparison site
http://macvspc.info/
Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_Mac
Comparison of operating systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_operating_systems

I own and use both.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#14 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Macs are intended for people who really just want a computer that works out of the box. They are good if you don't know how to use a computer and are very user friendly. All you have to know is how to click on the little icons, and when they bounce up and down that's a good thing.

I myself have a mac, because I was forced by my school to buy one because they are starting a 1:1 laptop program where every student has a laptop. I was very unhappy, but then i just put windows on and all was well. With Windows there are so many more options and you can do so much more.

If you just like macs, how they work, and how they look, you would probably like them more than PCs.
PC's, however, get you so much more hardware for the price.

#15 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

i am a pc fan all the way but i must have to say that if ure going the video-editing and music-editing mac has the best (that comes on the os originally) but pc is wayyyyy better other than that...i guess it doesnt help that im a gamer cuz macs suck for that and can hardly be upgraded at all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users