Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silent Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:59 PM

HI!

I just formatted my computer (after being attacked by a nasty virus that would not allow me to keep my computer on for more than five minutes!). Everything's wiped clean and looks good...except for that fact that I am getting no sound whatsoever from my computer. :flowers:

I re-installed the drivers and software for my sound card (Sound Blaster Live), but it's still not working. :trumpet:

Can anyone here help me? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:34 PM

Assuming everything is plugged in and turned on...
Have you checked in your control panel > sounds, speech & audio devices to see if the "mute" is checked? What about the other control settings?

I see from a previous thread you're running XP - did you do an SP2 upgrade? If you did there might be a conflict with your sound blaster. You might check that out and see if there are updated drivers???

It's something to do while you wait for one of the "Pros" to jump in here....

~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:19 AM

I checked the volume and all that --- it was the first thing I did. The thing is, this has happened to me before (the sound disappearing on me) --- it always happens after I install a new OS. I've had two different ones (Windows 98 and XP).

Anyway. I tried disabling/enabling onboard sound, and all that. I also downloaded drivers for my motherboard, because I remember that's how I fixed it the last time....but apparently it's not working this time.

I hate sitting here and not hearing a sound from the computer --- it's almost spooky *lol*

Thanks for the tips though, you're right. They'll give me something to try until the "pros" throw in their two cents.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:49 PM

bump
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 thatman

thatman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:41 AM

Hi KoanYorel

Look in your Creative sound-blaster folder for the file ctsurmix.exe

right click on ctsurmix.exe selecting properties now select win2000 compatible mode.
please let me know if it works

All the best

thatman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users