Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:46 PM
I hope you may be able to help. A couple of months ago I was infected by a virus by being extremely daft and downloading and installing something from a dodgy site. One of the immediate problems was that I noticed an additional folder in All Programs on Vista containing what seemed to be duplicates of all my program icons and short cuts. I deleted it which led to all my program icons and folders being deleted, not just those in the additional folder. At the time I researched this and noticed other people had had the same problem and it was attributed to a virus. I cannot remember the name of the virus I'm afraid.
At the time I ran several ant-virus and malaware programs such as Norton, Windows Defender, Malaware bytes etc, and thought I had got rid of it. However I am still noticing the following odd behaviour which could be connected with this original attack or maybe something different. I am hoping you may be able to give me your opinion here:
1. Explorer.exe often crashes.
2. My machine often hangs and CPU usage goes up to 100%
3. If I right click a file or folder it often takes a long time before the options appear, during this time I see the egg tier rotating.
4. I use Google Chrome as my main internet browser and often there are numerous listings of Chrome in the Task Manager processes.
5. Some of these seem to use massive amounts of memory
6. Often I see one incident of Chrome in Processes which can be up to 1 gig or more memroy usage, if I stop this process Chrome does not shut down but I get an error message in the browser window "Aw Snap!"
I hope you may be able to help. I have not used combofix yet but I am wondering if it would help. Any suggestions at all relating to these problems would be gratefully received.