Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple strange (to me) issues...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Obeyance

Obeyance

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

First let me give you a run down of my hardware. I have 2 laptops and a PC. Laptop 1 is a Dell Inspiron 1521, Laptop 2 is a Compaq Pesario V6000 and the PC is a self built machine running on a socket 939 gigabyte board with a San Fransisco chip. All 3 have windows 7 Ultimate installed. I have not done any tweeking or anything like that would cause any complications and i use each of the 3 for different things. If you need more detailed information on hard drive please let me know and i will oblige.

The first and most important issue im having is that all 3 computers will not recognize that there is a blank CD in the drive. However, if i put a written cd in the drive it will display that there is something on the disk if using a burning tool, but still will not acknowledge the disk via my computer or navigation to the drive letter. But then again, it has no problem recognizing the windows CD or game CDs/DvDs. I tried to burn a copy of Ubuntu with a disk already in the drive and it ask for a blank disk (cd), when i ejected the disk and poped it back in it started the burn and burned it. I was able to restart and boot from CD bringing up the install screen (but i think somethign went wrong with the iso burn and woudl not let me boot from live disk but thats another story). Now that same disk will not be recognized again in windows. All of my machines do this.

Second issue. My PC and Laptop 2 will plug and play my external WD My Book USB drive and read and write to it with no problems. Laptop 1 does the same thing as it does with CDs. It will say that there is something there but will not bring up a listing of it in My Computer or open by navigation... In device manager it will list it as a hard ware and it also has a "Remove Safely" option in the task bar.

Third issue is that none of my computers will create a home group... When i try to it says "You can not create a homegroup on this computer."

These are new installs PC and Laptop 1 were both installed on clean metal, and laptop 2 was installed over XP.

I hope someone can shed some light on this subject because its a pain in the ass to relocate files or try and install new stuff like linux if i cant have drives working or be able to share files between computers. Im going nuts over this. I often stair at my computers in a dumbfounded manner. I mean if it says its there it should access it right? It doesnt make sense to me.

* just a quick side note: I tried again after making this post to restart laptop 1 with the Ubuntu disk (that it doesnt show is there in windows unless you look at file size via a burning program) and it booted it. Laptop 2 does not even try, it goes straight into windows. I have not tried with the PC because im currently downloading another copy of Ubuntu because the disk integrity self check on installation says there is an error. Ill give you this error just in case someone that reads this knows what the problem is .. mind you this is not why im posting or even wishing this to be answered... just throwing it out there. *

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
---------

Thanks again!

Edited by Obeyance, 04 March 2010 - 08:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Does home group pertain to networking?

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

Yes, it does.

Windows 7 Homegroup
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Is homegroup part of any services that need to be enabled, and have you created a password?

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yes, as it turns out, Homegroup is a service:

Posted Image

Check your services to see if these particular 2 are running, and if not, start them and try again.

Ultimate and Pro both can make homegroups, so the only thing keeping you from it would be the services (if I had to guess).

Thanks, cryptodan, for pointing out the possibility of a service that is turned off. That hadn't occurred to me.

By the way, you don't create a password for Homegroup. Once you make a Homegroup, it will give you a generated password (something random that the system comes up with), which can be used on other Windows 7 machines to join the homegroup. :huh:

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

Yes, it does.

Windows 7 Homegroup

Concerned about privacy? HomeGroup is password-protected so you just set up one password for all your PCs and you’re ready to go. You can decide what gets shared and what stays private, or use “Share with” to decide who you want to share specific folders with. You can also make your files "read only," so other people can look at (but not change) your stuff.

From the link above.

Edited by cryptodan, 05 March 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Yes, it is password-protected. However, you don't get to choose your password like you can with your account password. Windows 7 will give you one it generated. This happens after you create the Homegroup. So until a Homegroup is made, there is no password. Once a Homegroup is made, Windows 7 will assign a password for it. You don't pick your own. Understand?

I'm sorry if I was unclear earlier.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 05 March 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

Its not you that is unclear its the article you linked too.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Well, yeah, you might have something there. It is somewhat ambiguous. Sorry for the mix-up.

Obeyance, let's take your problems one at a time. Homegroup is the easiest, so we'll start there. Did checking the Services reveal anything?

After Homegroup, we'll delve into your other problems. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users