Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

first home-build computer.. problems..

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AnnonAshera

AnnonAshera

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hi everyone..

I've build my first computer, and I love it. Its been a fun, and sometimes not so fun project, but there are just a few things I need help with.
I'll start with the various specs and then my issues.

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
AMD Phenom x2 550BE (not overclocked yet)
Arctic Cooling CPU Fan
GTX 260 (gigabyte)
ASRock M3A770DE Motherboard

A. The biggest issue is with the memory. I experience random crashes, data corruption. Sometimes chrome will just say the page is broken, and applications will randomly crash. Sometimes I get the BSOD as well. I have everything with the bios memory options set to default, or auto, and I'm not sure if changing the timings would fix my issue. However, there are a ton of settings and I'm not sure what's what.
B. Firefox instantly crashes. Won't even come up, tried making a new profile, and safe mode, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling but it still wont work.
C. Not sure how to get the sleep/hibernate settings to work.. it used to freeze when I left it for long periods of time, so I turned the power saving options all off, but I'd like to be able to sleep/hibernate.

Thanks so much guys!

scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

As for the memory problem, you do have the sticks in the correct slots don't you? I had a very similar problem with my first build years ago and it was because I had the memory in the wrong slots. :huh:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

I would recommend having a look at the Qualified Vendor List of memory for your Asrock motherboard, located here, and make sure the memory your purchased is on that list.

If it is on the list, then you will probably want to use Memtest86+ to test your memory. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) to download the ISO image and burn it to CD. Boot your computer from this disk and let the testing run.

If it shows no errors, then I would start looking at power supply or motherboard as the culprit.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 AnnonAshera

AnnonAshera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

My memory is on the list, and the memory are in the correct slots.

I already used memtest86+ and got no errors..
at least not for 5 minutes..

do i need to run it alot longer than that?

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

You will see a counter that says how far through the testing it has gone. With having 4 gigs of ram, you can expect it to take anywhere from an hour to a few hours to complete a full test.

I would recommend letting it run completely through a test and then let us know.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 El Jedo

El Jedo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

yeah, I'm with techextreme on this one - I've got a build for one of my clients, memory is on the QVL, but the computer is just as flaky as can be, craziest problems manifesting themselves in a different way everytime. Let Memtest run through,

alternately, I've found it can be easier to isolate the problem by pulling one stick, and running memtest through with each stick individually, it could help you get a handle on which DIMM is causing the problem.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Personally I would stay away from ASRock their boards are hideous. I would recommend ASUS, Abit, and Gigabyte.

#8 El Jedo

El Jedo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

Actually, ASRock and ASUS are both made by Asustek, so the same company making the ASUS boards are making the ASRock boards. ASRock is ASUStek's way of building OEM or budget boards without sacrificing their ASUS brand, but in my experience, the boards (while lacking a lot of features that we all love about ASUS boards) are pretty solid and reliable.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Go to the Start button and type in (memory) and you will see a memory test. I don't know how well it works but it can't hurt.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

I would recommend ASUS, Abit, and Gigabyte.

Abit USA was a little bit iffy, at least last year
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 AnnonAshera

AnnonAshera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

well.. I took out the memory blew on the slots to make sure no dust was there, and blew on the memory, then switched which slot each memory was in.. and so far, no more memory issues.

Also, the timings are set a bit funny in the bios though. Like, according to the manufacturer the timings like, 9-9-9-24
And mine on auto is set like 9-12-10-24.

Also, there are a whole bunch of other timings besides the CAS latency.. should I leave those on auto? the ones below the cas?

I think the memory issue is pretty much resolved, so far.
Anyone have any tips on firefox or hibernation?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Try setting them to the factory defaults.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users