Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Auto Update Office XP SP3 installs but repeats

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DougVanc

DougVanc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Laptop with XP-Home has been updating. Auto-update continues to list Office XP Service Pack 3 as needed. It downloads, goes through the process and says Install Complete. But then a little while longer the icon will reappear saying I need to download the same update, and go through the process again. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

Download, install manually...don't use Microsoft Update for auto updates.

Louis

#3 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

So do I go the microsoft site and look up the update? Haven't done it before. Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

You can...Google the SP3 for whatever version of Office...then go to the link and download it directly.

Or you can just go to the Office website, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/download...1321101033.aspx

Louis

#5 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

OK, I downloaded the full Office XP SP3 and manually installed it, it again said Installation Complete, but then the auto-update pops up again that I need to install Office XP Service Pack 3. A repeat cycle. I opened Word and Excel and it shows (sp3) so I assume that SP3 has installed. The programs appear to work fine. I have googled this and I see similar issues but have not determined a fix. It appears to be a registry issue with .dll files, if I understand this correctly. I do have the original Office XP disk and even tried having it in the drive when I again tried to install but the same issue. Any fixes?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Well...I see it as a problem with invoking auto update...which is why I suggested manually downloading/installing.

There are a myriad of reasons why users have problems with the WUS autoupdate feature...I assume the same can be said for using Microsoft Update.

If the update installs and is clearly seen in Add/Remove Programs...I would simply not use autoupdate for Microsoft installs.

Google List, Microsoft Update Woes

Louis

#7 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

I sent a message within Windows auto-updater to Microsoft with my issue. I received the following response. Some of the steps do not seem complete or logical. Can you review and give me your feedback. I have concerns with this as all of the steps do not seem complete and I am always concerned with getting into the registry. By the way I do have the Office CDs. Thanks. Doug

Dear Doug,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Praveen Tanneeru and I will be assisting you with Service Request # 1126699366.

From the information provided in your email I understand the issue is, you are unable to install the updates - SP3 for Office XP.

Note :

1. Proceed to next step only if the present step doesn’t work.

2. Well, frankly speaking , if we do not have a CD with you there is nothing much we can do from our end, because when you click on the browse button, it will show you the file which is either missing or got corrupted from your computer, so unless we replace the file by uninstalling and reinstalling the Office package we may not be able to install updates.

Moreover, these are the files which we cannot download or can be transferred.

However, I request you to contact the manufacturer , who installed Office on your computer and request them to uninstall and reinstall Office. (Not sure , if they will do, but a try..)

Or, you can also check the same with any of your friends so that we can replace the file.

Do, let me know the status of the same and keep me updated on the same, so that I will try my best.

However, if you would like to try , here are few steps that may help us resolve the problem :

1. One or several of the Windows Installer Patch (MSP files) was damaged.

2. Problem with the Office installation.

Note: use the following methods in the order that they appear in. Please do not skip steps below.

Before we proceed i would like to let you know that more than 1 version of Office on 1 computer is not recommended as this will create conflict. If there is another version of Office on your computer, kindly uninstall the same.

Method 1: Remove Multiple Versions of Office Suites:

========================================

1. Click on Start > Control Panel.

2. Click on Classic view on the left Pane.

3. Double click on Programs and Features (in case of Vista / 7 ) , Add/Remove programs (in case of Windows XP).

4. Check for multiple/trial versions of Office & uninstall them.

Step 1: Repair Windows Installer files (MSP files)

==============================

Please click on the following link and run the file

http://www.hoolulu.com/sw/ms/oucpr.exe

In the Process :

* If you get the message "Good news", there is no problem with the MSP files on the computer.

* If it checks out the problematic MSP files, please click Unregister button to fix the issue.

Note: you also may download OUCPR.exe via the following link in case the attachment has been blocked.

Please check for Office updates again and let me know the result. If this does not fix the problem, then move onto the next step.

Step 1: Manually install updates

=======================

Please go to the link to download the update to the local hard disk and then install it locally.

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Step 2: Enable Office Source Engine service

==============================

The issue could occur if the Office Source Engine service startup type is set to "DISABLED". However, Windows Installer cannot start this service if this service is disabled. To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Determine the status of the Office Source Engine service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click "Start", type "services.msc" (without the quotation marks), and then click "OK".

b. In the list of services, double-click "Office Source Engine".

c. View the option that appears in the "Startup type" list.

2. If the start type is set to "DISABLED", modify the startup type to a setting of "Manual". To do this, right-click "DISABLED" list, click Properties, General tab. And then select "Manual" in the "Startup type" list, and then click "OK".

3. Try to install the Office Update locally again.

Step 3: Repair Office

=================

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Switch to Classic View.

2. In Control Panel, double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon.

3. In the Currently installed programs list, click to select Microsoft Office 2002 product. Click Change.

4. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select "Reinstall or Repair", and then click Next.

5. Click to select "Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation" and the click "Install" button.

If the issue persists or an error is encountered when performing above steps, let's move on:

Step 4: Remove Office keys from Registry: (Make sure you have CD)

==================================

Note : Please make sure that you take a backup of registry before deleting any keys.

To take backup of registry :

Click on Start >Run >regedit

Right Click on "My Computer" & click on Export to back it up.

(a) Click Start menu, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

(:thumbsup: Locate the following two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

Right-click on the keys and click Export to back them up. Then delete those keys.

How to locate a Key

-------------------------

For example, if HKEY_CURRENT_USER is the key, then everything that follows the first backslash (\) is the subkey.

The keys and subkeys are listed in a folder tree in the left pane of Registry Editor. As in Windows Explorer, in the left pane of Registry Editor, if a key or subkey contains subkeys, a plus sign (+) appears next to the folder icon for that key. If you click the plus sign, the folder expands, and subfolders, representing the subkeys, appear under it.

To locate the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office", follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER,

3. Expand SOFTWARE to expand it.

4. Expand Microsoft.

5. Click Office.

(h) Open Windows Explorer, and do the following:

Browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdate OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate10" to "OfficeUpdate10 OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate11" to "OfficeUpdate11 OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate12" to "OfficeUpdate12 OLD"

(i) Click Start menu, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

(j) Empty the %Temp% folder.

Note: If you receive error when you delete files, just ignore this step. It doesn't matter.

(k) Empty the Recycle Bin.

(l) Restart your computer and then install Office.

Please let me know the results of the above mentioned step(s). In case you need clarification or further assistance, please email me and I will be glad to help. It is important for us to hear from you. Based upon your reply, I will update your service request.

If the issue is different, please write back to me with some more details to help me better understand the issue and further assist you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Note: To be sure your e-mail is added to your case notes, when you respond to this e-mail, click “Forward” and type srxmail@css.one.microsoft.com in the “To” line with my email address in the “CC” line. Also, place your SRX case number in the “Subject” line. Please include your name, e-mail address and phone number in the body of the message. I will contact you as soon as possible. Our primary goal is to quickly resolve your issue to your satisfaction.

Thanks for using Microsoft Product Support Services!

Best Regards,

Praveen Tanneeru

Microsoft Office and Outlook Online Support

Email: v-2prata@mssupport.microsoft.com

Friday - Tuesday , 6PM - 3AM Pacific Time

Microsoft Telephone Support

800-936-5700

Monday - Friday ,5AM - 9PM Pacific

Saturday & Sunday ,6AM - 3PM Pacific

For any feedback or Suggestion, you may reach my manager , Mr. Mayank by sending an email to v-2mays@mssupport.microsoft.com .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users