Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Anomalies

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TBoneBeaurone

TBoneBeaurone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hi,

First off, I want to note that no matter where I am within' the house I have always had a 90-100% strength signal as well as could see 30-40% strength signal for other networks in the area. My machine is running Windows 7, the other two computers are running Windows XP. Mine is the only one using wireless to connect. Last Wednesday, out of the blue, I lost connection to the network. I opened up the networks, and clicked connect. Usually connecting is instant, after few minutes I was informed that it was unsuccessful. When I looked again, I could still see the network, but it said 0% signal strength. After a while it dropped off completely where I could not see it, and came back with 95% strength, but I still couldn't connect aside from occasionally for between 30seconds to a few minutes. This cycle repeated ( a few days of being unable to connect, tried resetting everything etc. to no avail ) until early this week when it suddenly reconnected. Then midnight last night, the same occurred.

Last week, the first time this happened, one of the wired machines was able to connect, mine and another wired could not. This time, all three machines were unable to connect. I noticed that the other wireless networks that I can normally see were following the same cycle. This has me absolutely confused as this behavior seems to follow a pattern, and seems to be affecting the other networks in the area. Possible that someone is running a script using maybe a brute force attack on routers? Or even doing just a plain DoS attack? Any ideas would be nice. I'll post the router type later, but it had worked fine for roughly a year.

Thanks, and feel free to use e-mail if you feel you have any really good info, since I may not have many chances to come here and check for a bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

I dunno what would effect wireless and wired connections at the same time except a router going bad. It could be someone is doing something to interfere with the wireless but why would that affect someone wired?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users