Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Configuration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lukas8

Lukas8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

Hi, and thanks in advance for any helpful responses :thumbsup:

I am helping my bro buy a new system, part by part, and have come to a tentative list of parts that I hope are good. What I am looking for is any advice on the configuration I have chosen. Please tell me if you think they are good quality brands, and point out any possibly unforseen problems with compatability or performance. Also, feel free to recommend what you would do instead. This computer will be used as 3d rendering workstation (using Maya) and a little bit of gaming on the side. :flowers:

Motherboard - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLIATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
Memory - CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Video Card - MSI Geforce 7800GTX NX7800GTX-VT2D256E (Lite) Video Card White Box - OEM

anyone know what that "(lite)" could stand for on the video card discription?

Edited by Lukas8, 10 September 2005 - 01:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:42 AM

Two things:
1. Make sure the specific RAM model is supported by the Motherboard. That you can check on CORSAIRs website.
2. Make sure you get a monster of a power supply of a quality brand. Just the processor and graphics card are going to eat way over 200 watts.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Lukas8

Lukas8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

I decided to get a Sky Hawk/Eagle Tech 520W Power Supply, do you think that will be enough? Is that a trustworthy brand?

Edited by Lukas8, 11 September 2005 - 08:06 PM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:42 AM

I have no personal experience with the SkyHawk but it tends to show up in the not recommended lists. You might want to look at Antec, Enermax or ThermalTake. I've got a similar machine and have a 600W Enermax Noisetaker, which is a great PSU. If 520 W is enough depends on what else you got in that machine, but you could go for more, just to be sure. Here is a power supply calculator, but they aren't very reliable, so getting up to an 30% extra might be advisable.

EDIT: The rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for, and remember: Even if the processor is the brain of a computer, the power supply is the heart.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 12 September 2005 - 03:53 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users