Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not a valid windows 32 application error

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 DBTag

DBTag

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

When I tried to use rkill.com yesterday I received the error message "not a valid win32 application". I am getting the same error message for other executable files as well. They have worked previously. I have run Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Spyware Dr. I have tried rkill in safe mode, same result. How can I fix this problem?
I am using XP SP3. I have also tried using Disk Check (CHKDSK). Same result. I can no longer run my .exe files, I receive the error "not a valid WIN32 application.

Edited by DBTag, 04 March 2010 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP - #12 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg/.vbs file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry/run the script. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

I will try this now, thank you. I can't use the erunt backup though as it is an .exe file, and I receive the error message with any .exe file. I will create a restore point .

#4 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

Ok, I saved the file (exefix.reg.txt) to my desktop, but it is a text file. Double clicking just opens it with notepad. Please I don't understand how to get it to merge with my registry. I read the instructions at Kelly's Korner, but it is a .txt file. Can you instruct me further? Thanks

Edited by DBTag, 04 March 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

Save the file as "exefix.reg".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

This is strange... I save it as exefix.reg but when it downloads to my desktop it is saved as exe.reg.txt. I tried changing from my desktop to exefix.reg, dropping the .txt, but then it won't work.

#7 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

Well, it was because of Firefox. I downloaded it succesfully with IE. I've merged the file, am going to reboot now. I'll let you know the results in a few mins. Thank you

#8 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Well it didn't work. I still get the "not a valid WIN32 application" error. Exefix.reg merged successfully. What next? I do find that if I create a shortcut to the .exe file I do not receive the error message, but it will tell me access denied?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Can you run .exe files in Safe Mode?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

No

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

Try running this file:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

If it works then try scanning with Malwarebytes (don't reboot after running rkill)..

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

Excellent! Rkill.scr worked. It killed C:\Windows\system32\UAService7.exe and C:\documents and settings\owner\Desktop\rkill.scr. Thank you very much. I will now run Malwarebytes. Thanks so much! I'll post my results when it's done.

#13 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

Ok Malwarebytes found _Malware.Trace, a file at C:\documents and settings\all users\application, and _Trojan.Fraudpack, a Reg Key at Hkey_Current_User\software\avsoft. I hope that this solves the problem. I'll let you know after rebooting. My fingers are crossed.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

I have moved this from XP to the Am I Infected forum.
Please post the MBAM log.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 DBTag

DBTag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

Did I do something wrong? What is ComboFix? Will your above advice help with the .exe error problem I described originally? I am still unable to open .exe files and/or rkill.com. I get the error "is not a win32 application" when I try. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users