Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AutoCorrect options in Word 2003 keep resetting themselves?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 glddstgpsy

glddstgpsy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

I'm having a very annoying problem that started about a week ago. :thumbsup: I use Word 2003 at work, and I format/type a lot of documents. I have specific settings that I've customized (using available Word options) so that life is generally easier for me. All of a sudden, every time I log off our network, or restart my computer, I end up losing all of my customizations, and have to go back in and set them all again.

They include:stop automatically capitalizing the first letter of a sentence
spell checking words all in uppercase (unchecking this option)
stop automatically creating bulleted/numbered lists
Also, you know how Word keeps the commonly used fonts at the top of the font list? Well every time, that list is gone, so I have to scroll through the entire list of fonts to find the ones I need.

I know these things seem menial, but for the work I do they are very annoying, and some of my reports have gone out with misspellings (due to the spell checker not checking words in all caps).

Does anyone know how to get my Word back to the way it used to be? Is there something in the registry I can edit? Was there a recent update from Microsoft that is causing this?

Also, becuase this is on my work computer, I do not have administrative priveleges, nor do I have a Word 2003 disc (which makes this difficult). If anyone has a fix that I can do without uninstalling and re-installing Word, that would be great!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

It may be a corrupted normal.dot file.

Replacing "normal.dot" to fix Microsoft Word Problems:

http://www.pcdon.com/word-unstable-corrupted-normal-dot.html

You'd have to redo all your specific settings, but they should then be saved in the new normal.dot file,
as far as I am aware.

As for admin privileges, you'll have to sort it out with your network administrator, but if this one works,
you will avoid a reinstall.

Opening Word and choosing Help / Detect and Repair, may not be available to you, with limited user rights,
(and no disk).

Edited by petewills , 05 March 2010 - 08:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users